Dental Health Community

painful lump underneath tongue

Let me preface this by saying, I have been to a dentist, my PCP, an ENT and an oral surgeon and I am not getting any answers.  Two months ago I began to have pain while eating.  I looked in my mouth and noticed a lump underneath my tongue and it was very painful to the touch and eating.  Now this lump extends the back of my mouth going under my tongue and then connects to the back of my tongue.  The pain is now constant and only lessons with ibuprofen.  I now also have pain going to my ear and to the back of my head when I move my tongue a certain way, so I have to be careful not to move it that way.  I have had a CT scan, been treated with 2 rounds of antibiotics, and was also told to stop using Colgate.  The oral surgeon told me to come back in a month if it is not any better and sent me to yet again another ENT.  I am very worried as I am not getting any answers to this problem and it is getting worse.  Any advice on what it could be or what I could do?  The headache pain is a new symptom that just started in the last few days.  Only my dentist and PCP said I needed a biopsy, the Oral surgeon and ENT did not seemed concern.  I can not eat much of anything without writhing in pain.  Thanks
COMMUNITY LEADER
If there is no hard and soft tissue pathology identified, i would rule out myofascial trigger point pathology of suprahyoid musculature. Skillful palpation can establish clinical diagnosis. Seeing an orofacial pain specialist is advised.
What is myofascial trigger point pathology of suprahyoid musculature.  That sounds like a foreign language.  :)
Just wanted to update you.  It has been two years since my last post.  What I had was Squamous Cell carcinoma.  Had it two times.  Went through radiation and chemo.  They now say I am in remission, but within the last few weeks I have had another lump show up on the opposite side.  We are watching it to make sure it goes away within the week.