Dental Health Community

painful lump

My mother is 87.  She woke up with a large painful lump under her tongue.  It was painful to touch the side of her mouth and under her jaw on the left side.  She ate her breakfast of a breakfast bar and milk.  At the end of her breakfast she tasted something very salty.  When she felt her mouth the pain was gone and so was the lump.  Can you tell me what this could be and if we should worry about it.
It sounds like a mucocele.  Remar is right.  They are a build up of saliva in a gland that forms a small cyst.  Many rupture spontaneously.

If it comes back, your Mom should probably see a dentist, otherwise it should be fine.

Best to you,
Gellia
I'm wondering if she may have had a build up of saliva in the gland. It's probably best for her to see her dentist to find out if there is still a problem.
thank you for your reply.  It makes sense.  I'll tell her your advise.   thanks
Thank you for replying to her problem.  I appreciate your answer.  I'll tell her to keep an eye on it and see the dentist if she has any more problems.  thanks
Your very welcome!