Dental Health Forum

rough stinging gums

I have periodontal disease and I use many products to try and control and I am a smoker.  I also have that bone thing...cannot remember the name, but basically my bones grow outward where they pertrude.  I brush/floss/use gum brush about 4 times a day (morning when I get up, after I eat breakfast, after lunch and b4 bed).  For the past week, my upper gums feel rough and a little stingy, especially near the teeth.  I try and use natural/organic items, including Dr Tungs gum brush w/ the gum tonic.  My gums never really have bleed much and the tissues, I have been told, are tight and in good shape but I have a pocket of 7, a couple of 5's, a few 4, a few 3 and the remaining 2's.  Any suggestion as to what it may be and what to do for the rough stinging and what more I can do for the perio?  Thank you so much.
STOP SMOKING! There is no question that smoking is a significant etiological factor in periodontal disease. I do not know what is causing the " rough stinging" of your gums. The out pocketing of the bone is called a torus and is quite normal.I hope your are seeing a periodontist to evaluate the pocketing and your overall periodontal condition.
I am working on it.  Yes, I see one 4 times a year for deep cleaning - also had laser surgery 2 years ago.  Could the roughness be due to the gum brush and using too much?  When I quit smoking, will it go away or reduce substantially?  How long will it take?  Thank you, again.
you won't know what will happen when you quit smoking until you do. But I can tell you that quitting can't be bad for you or your gums.. I can also tell you that smoking probably negates ALL of the other things you are doing and have done to try to help your gum problem. A smoker asking a dentist what to do about his gum disease is like a heroin addict asking his doctor what to do about his brain convulsions. pretty obvious. tylenol ain't gonna help.
Easier said than done to quit smoking and have done so in the past but you are right, it is an addiction.  Oddly enough, to a smoker, it is kind of like a friend - and yes, a deadly one.
you didn't "quit" in the past--- such is not possible since you are now a smoker. you merely stopped for a while.
ps --- if you smoked today then you are not "working on it"--- you are merely thinking about it.
If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.