Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dental Health Community
7.43k Members

white bumps on tongue

I have some spots on my tongue that are very painful. They are white with a red outline, about the size of the old plastic pin heads.  I do not smoke or drink. I do have my tongue pierced but have had it pierced for almost 8 years now and have never had these spots before.

The spots started out as just one, now there are 2 bigger ones and 3-4 tiny ones, just little specks.  The bigger ones are the ones that hurt, hurts to eat and talk because the bumps rub on my teeth.  I have had them for 3 days now.

I have taken a picture, it is a little poor quality, but hopefully you can see them
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj92/mommyto1princess/tonguespots.jpg
1 Responses
What surface of the tongue are they on?  The top part of the tongue, or the underside?  Look up pictures of "geographic tongue" because that occurs on the top part of the tongue.  If it is on the bottom, it could be some canker sores because they occur on these spots.  Either one, it would just be palliative treatment.  Use some numbing gel - all your dentist will give you is, at most, a steroid rinse.

See if it goes away within 7 days.  If it doesn't, then go to your dentist.

It could also be an allergy to something.  I am sure it has nothing to do with your tongue ring.

Good luck.
Have an Answer?
Top Dental Answerers
taipei, Taiwan
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.