Depression/Mental Health Forum

Anger management

Hello, I've been on Wellbutrin XL 300mg (2mos) and prior to that, I was taking wellbutrin sr 100mg 1x/day (1.5 yrs).  I take wellbutrin for depression and anxiety which I've suffered with since I was a teen-ager (I'm 33 yrs old) but only started treatment after the birth of my daughter who is now 2 1/2 yrs old.

Wellbutrin works well with depression and anxiety but lately I'm very short tempered.  I could be feeling great then something slightly annoying happens and I start to boil.  I find myself sometimes shocked with these bouts of anger.  I'd like to know if there is a medicine that is helpful with my problem.  

I know that my anger problem is more apparent during prementrual period.  Could it be PMS and is there anything I can take for it? I also wonder if the increase dosage on  my Wellbutrin may be causing it.
Wellbutrin increased dose may be the culprit in this case so talk to your doctor about reducing the dose. You should also look within at your anger. Sudden bursts may me that you are simmering about something that you need to deal with more directly. Get it out in the open for yourself, then you can decide what to do about it...YOu can get some help with this at www.masteringstress.com.
You might want to go back down to your initial dose of wellbutrin and supplement it with an SSRI of your choice.
I also took wellbutrinxl for about 5 weeks and had to discontinue.  I turned into a *****.  I would just as soon tell someone off as to look at them.  I was so angry and out of control.
Hi Chika,
I suffer from anxiety and major depression for a long time and like you, I have been taking medication for about 2 years. Until last year I was constantly upset with everything and everybody. Until that time I had taken several cocktails of medicines that did not work. For the last year, I have been taking effexor RX (300 mg), buspar (30 mg) and seroquel (125 mg) and it's working well. I think it's the anxiety that makes you upset. Once you take care of your anxiety, you will start calming down and sleeping better, and you will realize that something that used to create extreme rage in you, instead looks normal. Every body looks nice again, and if they are not nice, you just don't care.
Beside the medicines, therapy is incredibly important.
Good luck!
This is a long post about an interaction with Wellbutrin XL.  If you have not experienced the effects of Wellbutrin XL causing Anger - you would do well to skip reading this min-bio.

I was using Zoloft 200mg for over three years with no Anger problems.  However, I was lethargic and had no desire to do anything, kind of Zombie-like.  My doctor dropped the zoloft to 175 and then 150 however, after about 10 days there was still no change in my condition.  

Then, my doctor added Wellbutrin XL 300mg and after 7 days I started to perk up and felt like doing things again.  After about the 25th day of receiving Wellbutrin XL 300mg, I started to become incapable to control my emotions, regardless of the amount of effort I exherted at keeping my emotions under control.  I was completely unable to CONTROLL ANGER and was rapidly losing control over all MY EMOTIONS.  I became increasingly scared of my own ability to act rationally in any situation, good or bad. I was also unable to apply tact in situations that I ABSOLUTELY knew required a tactful response.

It's amazing how quickly a dangerous medication can ruin your life.  Between the 20th and 150th day (just FIVE months), I managed to destroy three long-time friendships over petty disagreements.  Lost my job of 4-years (where I had perfect reviews and promotions year-over-year), over a disagreement with my boss. Broke up with my girlfriend (f 7 years), over how I cooked dinner.

I then put my house up for sale and I immediately lost two offers on my house over what my Agent and the buyers agent called Unreasonable emotional responses. Now I could not even find a Real Estate Agent who would sell my house!  Imagine that, even the sharks and scum didn't want to respond to me.  All of this happened in just 5 months.  After carefull examination of my life during that period.  The only change to my lifestyle had been the addition of Wellbutrin XL. I had no idea this seemingly wonder drug, that initially made me feel like I could get things done, and have lots of evergy would make me ruin my life!

Now, I cannot get employment, because references who ascribe and complement my technical ability will not make any comment about my 'playground skills', except to say; He is 'unstable', and 'you just never know how, he is going to act. What he is going to do. People around him are on eggshells because they want to avoid his launch into a verbal venomous attack for a petty action'.

All the above emotional damage seems dangerous enough; however, the really DANGEROUS effect of Wellbutrin for me is: I do not feel I am acting inappropriately.  Instead I feel I am behaving like everyone else around me.  

I discovered what was wrong one day a few weeks ago.  I had been taping myself assembling a complex piece of electronics so I could then prepare step-by-step instructions and use the tape to hopefully find a job in Technical Documenting or Writing.  After about two hours I finished the assembly, but I accidentally left the Camera on for the rest of the day recording onto a six hour tape. The next morning I was about to play back the tape to begin the documention when I noticed the tape had ejected from the VCR and was at the end of the spool.  I realized then I had been recording 4 hours of late afternoon in my home office and I was able to 'see and hear' what I was saying and how I was behaving.  

During that half a day - I received a call concerning my laundry being delayed till 7am the next morning.  I watched in horror as I screamed in to the phone comments and words I did not think I would ever hear coming from me, not to mention the intense gesticulations I was exhibiting.  Next someone rang the doorbell, and I could see in my face that I was seething with anger and was even talking to myself out loud; "How inconsiderate, can't people just knock.  WHat the hell is wrong with people."  

That evening after seeing and hearing how I am really behaving, I decided that for me, Wellbutrin XL is a DANGEROUS drug and I am just going to have to begin lowering my dosage until I can completely stop taking it.  

I will continue with Zoloft and live like a Zombie for a while, then lower that until I become depressed again. At least while I was depressed I managed to keep a job, pay for a house, have friends, keep a girlfriend and seldom if ever did anyone tell me they felt my temper was out of control.

I would prefer to be a Zombie (on Zoloft), or just continue to be depressed.
This is an interesting event considering the content in this thread:

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=10933843&BRD=1078&PAG=461&dept_id=151025&rfi=6

Defense: Medicine made man insane
Guilty Plea in Shooting Accepted

By:CHAUNCEY ROSS, Gazette Staff Writer February 07, 2004

A Blacklick Township man arrested for shooting a pregnant, teenage girl in the head almost two years ago pleaded guilty to reduced charges in the Indiana County Court on Friday but claimed he was insane when he pulled the trigger.

--------------  Following excerpt from the end of this article.
"He was taking antidepressants and he wasn't having any trouble at all," Ceraso said. "Somebody decided they should give him Wellbutrin ... and that has the unholy effect in connection with the others he was taking to make him psychotic, it's that simple."

The district attorney's office agreed to drop four counts of attempted homicide and 18 other charges that state police had filed against Mock.

Mock pleaded guilty but mentally ill to a felony count of aggravated assault and a misdemeanor charge of recklessly endangering another person. The maximum sentence for the charges is 12 years in prison and $30,000 in fines.

Martin scheduled a sentencing hearing for Friday, April 2.
--------------------------------

Attorneys told the court that Thomas Mock of Falling Run Road should be granted credit for time already spent in jail and be given a lengthy term on probation.

Under terms of a plea bargain, prosecutors conceded that Mock took a dose of incompatible medications that rendered him unable to distinguish right from wrong when he wounded Joanne Lowman of Black Lick on June 6, 2002.

Mock sped after a carload of young people, rammed it with his pickup truck and squeezed off six rounds from a .357 Magnum handgun, hitting Lowman once in the back of the head, state police charged. Lowman's 20-year-old husband Josh, who was driving the car, and two other passengers, Chad Calabrese and John Michael Smith, both of Blairsville, were not hurt.

The chase covered several miles of Falling Run and Campbells Mill roads and ended at the Sheetz store in Black Lick. Police captured Mock two hours later at a friend's house in Blairsville.

Lawyers on Friday told Judge William Martin that two Pittsburgh-area psychiatrists - one hired by the prosecution and the other by the defense - independently determined that Mock was insane at the time of the shooting.

Defense attorney Thomas Ceraso of Greensburg and Assistant District Attorney Geoffrey Kugler recommended that Mock, 44, be given credit for 18 months and four days that he spent in jail awaiting prosecution and be placed on seven years of probation. In addition to periodically reporting to the county probation office, Mock would have to remain under doctors' care for mental illness.

Martin freed Mock from jail Dec. 9 after ruling that the district attorney failed to bring him to trial within the time prescribed by state law. Mock was not required to post bail but was placed under supervision of the probation department's pretrial services program.

Kugler told Martin that some of the victims didn't agree with the plea bargain but that the prosecution had no choice. Smith and Josh Lowman were opposed to the deal but Calabrese understood the situation and didn't object, Kugler said.

Joanne Lowman, who had a baby girl three months following the shooting, now is in New York State and could not be reached to discuss the plea agreement, Kugler told the judge.

"Obviously it's tough because it was an extremely traumatic experience and it doesn't make them happy," Kugler said afterward. "In our opinion, this is in everyone's best interest. If we went to trial we would be fighting our own expert."

15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Simple, drug-free tips to banish the blues.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
For many, mental health care is prohibitively expensive. Dr. Rebecca Resnik provides a guide on how to find free or reduced-fee treatment in your area