Depression/Mental Health Forum

Anxiety and Insomnia - strange brain/head sensation and FFI?

I am a 30-year-old Asian male.

I have been having insomnia for the past 2 weeks, which was partly attributed to jet lag...but more importantly, anxiety about my health. I am still waiting for some tests back. As for my insomnia, I have been having this strange sensation that my brain was putting the light switch back on when I was about to fall asleep. It's almost as though my brain is trying prevent me from sleeping. In some ways, it's almost a "twitch". I heard there is a rare form of insomnia that's fatal (FFI?). How likely is it that one could get it? Can I get tested for it? I have also been getting some muscle twitches, especially during sleep starts, which wake me up. I am just going crazy with these sleep problems.

Thank you for your help.
The most likely explanation is that you are afraid to sleep in response to your health anxiety..as if letting into your tiredness, puts  you in danger by putting you off guard...your test results will probably solve this problem...I have never heard of a fatal insomnia....
Okay, take a deep breath.  You do not have fatal insomnia.  It is genetic, and unbelievably rare.  There are 28 families known to have the gene for it.  Seriously. Twenty-eight.  In the entire world.  Millions and millions of families in the world, and TWENTY-EIGHT have this gene.  Relax, and get some treatment for anxiety, and maybe something to help you sleep.
Thanks for the response.  The reason I was worried is I read there is a sporadic version of it that could help (even though very rare).  I will go see a therapist and deal with the anxiety.  Meanwhile, I just got prescribed Ativan (Lorazepam) for my insomnia.  Anyone has experience with it?  Thanks.
Correction to previous post:
Thanks for the response. The reason I was worried is I read there is a sporadic version of it that could HAPPEN (even though very rare). I will go see a therapist and deal with the anxiety. Meanwhile, I just got prescribed Ativan (Lorazepam) for my insomnia. Anyone has experience with it? Thanks.
I was given some Ativan (Lorazepam) but the recommended dosage (0.5-1mg) doesn't seem to work well. Anyone has experience with this?

I am still getting some of the "mind/brain twitches" when sleep starts which scare and worry me. Obviously, that doesn't help with my anxiety and insomnia. The therapist says that I am just too wired and I shouldn't worry about sporadic fatal insomnia.

The last few days I have been feeling some weakness in my left arm. Can this and insomnia be indications of neurological disorders or even brain tumor? I know I am just going crazy!

Please just keep in mind that people who think they have total insomnia often sleep much more often than they realize.  I used to not believe that, and thought for sure I was up all night, but then a few times something odd happened.  First, I realized how often when that happened that hours seemed to jump with no thought.  But most telling were the couple of times that I knew a neighbor who lived below me was on the phone to her boyfriend (I could hear through the floor very clearly at that place) then suddenly, as if a flash, he was HOME WITH HER and talking to her directly, right there in the apartment.  I realized I had dozed off during their phone call then didn't awaken again until he arrived, but without those sounds, I had no "feeling" that I had fallen asleep, been asleep, and woken up.

I've read about this quite often; that was the first time it was proven to me personally to be true.  Are you ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE you are not sleeping at ALL?
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Simple, drug-free tips to banish the blues.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
For many, mental health care is prohibitively expensive. Dr. Rebecca Resnik provides a guide on how to find free or reduced-fee treatment in your area