Depression/Mental Health Forum

Can Wellbutrin help with Effexor weight gain?

I have been on Effexor XR 75mg for almost a year.  About 6 months ago, I tried Wellbutrin XR 150mg to increase energy.  I found that it didn't seem to do much for me so I discontinued it.  Ever since, I have been gaining weight more easily and have put on about 15 lbs despite some moderate attempts at dieting and exercise.  Weight gain is absolutely not tolerable for me.  I plan to take my chances weaning off the Effexor unless the Wellbutrin can counteract this.  I don't expect it to make me lose the weight, but I am hoping it will counteract the weight gain effect and at least make me stop gaining and ultimately, be able to lose what I've gained.  Is this possible?  I have refilled my Wellbutrin script and I have an appointment with my doctor on Friday.  Thanks!
Most people switch to Wellbutrin because of the weight gain with Effexor and other ssri's.  It should help with the weight issue, and is an effective medication for depression and anxiety for most people, but whether it works for you can only be determined by a trial.
Well, I think my question was a little less than clear.  What I meant was, will taking the two concurrently help with the weight gain side-effect.  I have been taking them both for a week now and have been dieting and exercising for the most part.  I lost 3 lbs.  I have no idea if the Wellbutrin helped, but it sure didn't hinder.  I feel a little more energetic too.
Here's an update:  I've been on the Wellbutrin now for about 10 days and I've been dieting and exercising (both without going too far) since.  I have lost 5 lbs so far, so that's a plus because it started to look like even with dieting I was going to keep gaining weight.  As for the Effexor with Wellbutrin, I take these meds for Generalized Anxiety and the Wellbutrin brings it back just a tad.  I've gotten angry since being on the Wellbutrin, but not excessively and not for no good reason.  That's it for now.  My goal is to lose 10 - 12 more pounds by the New Year.  Let's see how it goes!
I've been on effexor BECAUSE my doc insisted it would give me energy and may help me lose weight.  NOT happening.  No anti-dep has helped me yet, with emotional or NOW weight-gain problems.

I am new here!!  I have tried several ssri's have just started Wellbutrin XL for anxiety.  I don't know if it is just me, but I feel like it is making my anxiety worse.  I really wish that it would work because I have gained so much weight on the ssri's.
I gained 20 lbs on Effexor in 3 years. the doctors reassured me that it wasn
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Simple, drug-free tips to banish the blues.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
For many, mental health care is prohibitively expensive. Dr. Rebecca Resnik provides a guide on how to find free or reduced-fee treatment in your area