Depression/Mental Health Forum

Celexa - How unusual is my fast response to Celexa from the first dose?

I just started treatment with Celexa to overcome dysthymia.
Celxa seems to start working immediatly after the first "begginer" dose at 10mg! First I noticed side effects such as yawning, teeth clenching, and when I moved my
computer's mouse my hand would make the mouse shortly overshoot what I was attempting to click. Then the music on the stereo started sounding better. However, I did have some physical lethargy for the first 6 hours of dosing. Finally, my "body"
catched up to my "mind" andI was able to take a walk about town.
I was smiling and even had the nerve to approach a woman I was
romantically interested in and engage her in a pleasant conversation. Something I wouldn't have had the where-with-all or nerve to do just 48 hours prior. I later met friends and
found I was more empathatic with them rather then brooding and being preoccupied with my own life . I found it very much easier to do such things as laugh. I was smiling a lot. I know this is not a "placebo" since I was anticipating  to hunker down for 6 weeks of hell   before I noticed anything. I know it's not supposed to work so soon and it was half a tablet. Should I be concerned that this might be a mild "mania" side effect or are there reports of other patients responding so dramatically. I'm supposed to up my dosage in 2 days to 20mg but I'm thinking I should stay on 10 till I see my doc early next week. Comments?
Dear ccRyder

People respond to antidepressants differently

I had a similar response with the first dose of Celexa. I noticed being more active than usual and feeling better.

Then my sleep was disturbed and after several days began having urinary retention problems.

This computer just went bersert and listed three postings while I was in the middle of typing. Wierd!!!!

Anyway, I finally had to quit the Celexa because of the side effects. I have not noticed any withdrawal so far after cold turkey off 20 mg expect a mild light headedness on the first day and depressed mood for no reason at all.

I am now trying Ultram for mood elevation and pain killing since I
I had a similar reaction when i took celexa for the first time.I took 20 mg. and it made me feel sedated.I called my doctor and cut back to 10 mg twice a day, which has worked fine until 2 weeks ago.I had a similar experience with music sounding incredibly good and also things visually seemed to look better than they ever have.When I told my doctor these things he increased my dosage to 30 mg per day and the sound and vision "things" vanished. I have been on celexa for 2 months and I have had only sexual side effects(which also vanished after 1 month).Celexa has worked amazingly well for me, and I thank God that I found help.I take celexa for depression,ocd, and anxiety.Celexa took care of everything!I hope you have the same luck I did with celexa.
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Simple, drug-free tips to banish the blues.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
For many, mental health care is prohibitively expensive. Dr. Rebecca Resnik provides a guide on how to find free or reduced-fee treatment in your area