Depression/Mental Health Forum

Citalopram (Celexa)

I've just been put on citalopram for depression and BDD and after reading the reviews and side effects leaflets, im worried about gaining weight on this medication...Is it the actual increase in hunger that causes weight gain or the tablet itself? I am quite worried about this as my body image issues make me scared about putting on weight..even a pound would make me freak out, ive not been able to discuss this with my doctor at the moment
Only a small percentage of people  gain weight, and if you do, you can stop and it is reversible...the mechanism seems to  be metabolic and probably some  psychological stress eating, if that is already your pattern.
I too am very sensitive about my weight and body image.  I can relate about a slight increase.  Many people don't understand that.
I was asked to take ciprimil and took it for five weeks.
I either lost or maintained weight on this medication.  I didn't notice any increase in appetite.

15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Simple, drug-free tips to banish the blues.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
For many, mental health care is prohibitively expensive. Dr. Rebecca Resnik provides a guide on how to find free or reduced-fee treatment in your area