Depression/Mental Health Forum

Effexor and male orgasm

Effexor is the drug of choice for me with my depression and anxiety disorder. However I can't achieve an orgasm unless I am off of the drug for 48 hours.  My doctor has me on 150 mg of Wellbuterin 2 times a day but it does no good.  How can my wife and I get pregnant when I can't finish the job?

HELP!
Doug,

Delayed ejaculation and sometimes the inability to have an orgasm are not uncommon with Effexor.  Adding Wellbutrin can sometimes help treat this side effect.  Buspar on occassion can also be helpful.  There are other options that should be further discussed with your treating psychiatrist(change medication, brief holiday, etc).  The good news is that sexual dysfunction is reversible upon discontinuation of the agent.  Please keep in mind that this information is intended for educational purposes only. Consult your personal physician for specific health concerns.

Sincerely,

HFHS MD-JM

Keywords: Effexor, sexual dysfunction
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Simple, drug-free tips to banish the blues.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
For many, mental health care is prohibitively expensive. Dr. Rebecca Resnik provides a guide on how to find free or reduced-fee treatment in your area