Depression/Mental Health Forum

Effexor side effect?

I originally started taking Zoloft a few months ago to treat depression.

After no success at all with it, my toxipharmicologist switched me to Effexor XR.

I worked my way up to 150mg/day, and I am now up to 225mg/day, and it has had no effect.

Should I ask for my dosage to be increased again, or ask for a different medication (and if so, which one?  I've already tried two).

Also, I belive I am having hallucinations as a result of the Effexor.  I can hear people yelling my name every once and a while but when I turn around there is nobody there.
Dear Anonymous

Patients on Effexor (venlafaxine) usually respond to a dose range of 150
I am on Effexor extended release at 300mg per day. I was at 150 for a few months and I felt better but I was still having break through anxiety and depression.

My doctor decided to try double the dose first and within 2 weeks I felt great.

I am doing wonderful now and I hardly take the Ativan.

I would talk with your doctor on either trying a higher dose or adding  a benzodiazepine with the Effexor, such as Ativan.

I hardly have any side effects except for dry mouth,vivid dreams and head tightness/aches.

I wish you well,Julie
i have been on 150mg of efexor xr for depression and i find that it has stopped working on me, but my doctor seems unwilling to try any higher dose or any other meds. i've also experienced hallucinations, but not only since i have been on efexor - i had them on other antidepressants too - maybe your experiences are just a feature of you illness changing, not the medication?
good luck with getting well,

morley
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Simple, drug-free tips to banish the blues.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
For many, mental health care is prohibitively expensive. Dr. Rebecca Resnik provides a guide on how to find free or reduced-fee treatment in your area