Depression/Mental Health Forum

Help! On 3 medications for anxiety!

I am writing out of concern for my 62 year old mother. She has had panic anxiety issues on and off for about 15 years. Within the last year she has become mostly bed-ridden.She sleeps about 2/3 of the day. The doctor keeps readjusting her medications , which never seems to help. She has gone to a few doctors, including a psych.The doctor changes a dosage at every visit and every time she hangs onto a thread of hope. She has been on various medications. She currently is on Effexor, Transene, and Zpyrexa. She doesn't feel that she has depression issues. The doctor has told her it is a brain chemical embalance. These medications do not appear to be working. She and my father have not pushed for a specialist. I cannot sit by and watch her not have a life. She cannot do daily chores, drive, be around people etc. This breaks my heart. Could the combination of the medications be doing this? Should they seek  a specific type of doctor? How can we find someone help my mom have a portion of her life back? I am desperate to help her, but I don't know where to start. She is at the point of desparation. She is very weak, physically and mentally.This illness has been going on for so long. She says she feel "spaced out" often. No one, including my father, can understand exactly what she is going through.Now that the holidays are approaching, she is even more stressed. He feels like she should be able to make herself walk outside or ride in the car with him. Please help me. I feel like I am the only one trying to find help.( I am an only child). Where do I start?
You should start with a very competent psychiatrist,one who can sort out whether or not medications are really necesary and what is the psychological component to this form of psychic invalidism.  He or she should refer you to a psychopharmacologist for a complete evaluaiton of the medications.  The best place to find this expertise is at your nearest university medical center, department of psychiatry.

Zyprexa is an anti-psychotic! It can cause all sorts of bad side effects including zombie like behaviour and listlessness.

Unless your mom has true schizo or psychotic tendencies I would remove that drug from the three first off. The effexor is more for depression ad anxiety. I never heard of the third one mentioned.

Chatahan
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Simple, drug-free tips to banish the blues.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
For many, mental health care is prohibitively expensive. Dr. Rebecca Resnik provides a guide on how to find free or reduced-fee treatment in your area