Depression/Mental Health Forum

Lamictal vs MAO inhibitor

I am a 47 yo female with drug resistant major depression.  I have written before and I thank you for your reply to my question.  My psychiatrist had decided to prescribe an MAO inhibitor until he went to a psychiatric conference of some kind and heard from a neuropsychiatrist that he had seen amazing results is resistant patients with the use of Lamictal.  My psychiatrist admits that he doesn't know much about this drug and he has mentioned a possible rash that can be serious.  I have had cutaneious sarcoid in the past and I would like to know if having sarcoid would make me more susceptible to the possiblity of this rash that is caused by Lamictal.  I've read about Lamictal online and it is supposed to be an anti-seizure medication so I don't understand why it is useful for the treatment of depression.  I appreciate your time and effort in my behalf and will look forward to your response.  Thank you for your help.    Chris
Dear Chris,

Lamictal has not been approved for use to treat Major Depression however some case reports had been published recently for its efficacy to treat bipolar disorder symptoms - mania and depression. There has not been evidence to support its use in Major Depressive Disorder. MAOI (monoamino oxidase inhibitors), on the other hand are very well researched and very effective.

The information provided by the makers of Lamictal reveals that the there are no factors identified that are known to predict the risk of occurrence or the severity of rash associations with Lamictal. Although benign rashes also occur with Lamictal, it is not possible to predict which rashes will prove to be life-threatening.

You may want to review other information available to you with your physician regarding the use of Lamictal and MAOI to treat your depression.

Sincerely,

HFHS MD - RG

*keyword: Lamictal
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Simple, drug-free tips to banish the blues.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
For many, mental health care is prohibitively expensive. Dr. Rebecca Resnik provides a guide on how to find free or reduced-fee treatment in your area