Depression/Mental Health Forum

Lexapro

For the last two weeks I have been taking Lexapro because of the sexual side effects of Prozac and I
Wellbutrin is the medication that doesn't have that side effect, so ask your doctor about just using Wellbutrin without other antidepressants.
You have to find the SSRI for you. For instance, when I was taking Zoloft it made me feel like I was going insane! My anxiety went through the roof and it was so bad I would cry. Then I switched to generic paxil and it helped but the sexual side effects were there. I was then switched to Paxil CR and while there are still some sexual side effects, they are greatly diminished and I can function without many problems. I am also on Xanax XR 1 mg daily which is a tiny dose but it helps a bit with the anxiety. You basically have to find the right drug for you. It could take a while but don't give up!
Have you considered the possibility that it isn't the Lexapro that is causing the same side effects? Perhaps it's the Wellbutrin that you've been taking all along. Something to consider.
I was on Lexapro for about 2-3 years. I have been off of it now for about 5 months. I can say that it did have some side effects that affected me sexually, however, they were not that bad! I am in the medical field and have actually heard that Lexapro has the LOWEST sexual side effects out of all the SSRI'S. As the above person suggested, I would look into other things before I blame it on the Lexapro. You said you have only been on it for 2 weeks, you should know that it takes a FULL 4-8 weeks for Lexapro to even take effect in your body...with that being said, I would look into other things that could be affecting your sexual dysfunction. Hope this helps any. Good Luck and God Bless
This is a side affect that can settle down once you are on a steady dose.  It can take a while to build up to an effective dose.

Give it at least 6 weeks if not 2 months.
Thanks for your commnets. I'm going to give it some more time to see if the side effect will go away or lessen. I was on the Wellbutrin without a SSRI and I had no SD at all. I'm seeing my Doctor tonight to discuss the issue further. I will keep you posted.
I have suffered from depression for the last 18 years and had two serious episodes when I took my self off my medication. Six months ago I stopped taking Prozac because of the sexual side effects. I have also been taking Wellbutrin SR 400MG a day and 1mg of Klonopin at night before bedtime. Recently I started to get depressed again and my Doctor put me on Lexapro but that has also caused the same sexual side effect.

He suggested I change the Wellbutrin SR to XL and increase the dosage to 450mg a day and stop taking the Lexapro and if I have anxiety I could take the Klonpin during the day.

I have been on Lexapro for over a year now and I have been on other SSRIs for many years and I am finally going off the stuff, with my DR. blessing. I have had the sexual side effects to the point of complete disinterest (VERY uncharecteristic for me)and have gained 20 lbs!! My eating has not changed, I log what I eat and my activity level has gone up quite a bit in the last year. I am also starting to get some of the weird side effects now that I've been off for a week. I'm out of it, I'm getting weird electrical like shocks through my body, I'm twitchy, etc... I think that if there is any drug out there that is making me twitchy and giving me electrical like shocks through my body (slight but there just the same) than it probably isn't the best thing for a person to take. I have been doing Yoga for about 6 months now and that makes me feel better than anything.

I understand that people tend to look at it like, "well at least I'm happy" however, most depressed/anxious people have some sort of issue with their weight and the term "fat and happy" just isn't possible. Anyone haveing weird side effects should speak to their DR. and find an alternative way of handling their depression and axiety. I like how they say there are no side effects and 10 years down the road there is a new medication because of all the side effects that have been discovered. And if these meds are NOT addicitive than why do soooo many of us suffer from horrible detox symptoms when we go off??? Strange things these pills. I know some people HAVE to have these meds to survive but the rest of us....? Maybe we have to learn other ways to live without the pills that effect our natural needs, wants and reactions.
"weird electrical like shocks through my body,"

This seems to be a common side-effect when coming off one of these meds.  I experienced the same thing coming off Effexor XR... took 3 weeks or so after weaning off before the symptoms were entirely gone.
i HAVE BEEN ON ZOLOFT FOR 4 YEARS, AND KEPT GETTING THESE ELECTRICAL SHOCK SENSATIONS, THEY SENT ME FOR 2 BRAIN MRI'S AND SAID EVERYTHING WAS FINE.  ONE DAY i WAS READING A MEDICAL COLUMN AND A LADY WROTE IN ABOUT THESE SHOCK SENSATIONS.  i'M LIKE THAT'S ME..  THERE HORRIBLE.  i DROPPED ALOT OF WEIGHT DUE TO A DIVORCE AND WHAT i CALL HEAD ZINGERS ARE BACK BAD...
I have been taking Lexapro for 6 days now.  I know it will take alittle while to start taking effect. I take it night right before bed.  I'm not sure if it's better to take it in the morning or at night.  AFter reading about all these side effects, I'm staring to get pretty scared.  I have GAD and severe panic disorder.  I have never been on meds before.  I guess I'm expecting a miracle.  Should I not hold my breath?
don't worrry, I am in the same boat don't know if you are experiencing peaks and valleyss like me but I am not sure if it is better or worse.  I feel like i get a surge of anxiety right after I take it and then by evening it levels off but then feel the panic again as soon as I wake up and am trying to function as normal as possible around my 13 year old. I also am wondering if it is better to take in the morning or evening.  I took this before and it worked pretty quick but doesn't seem to be working as quickly this time. It isn't a miracle but you will be amazed how it helps.  it kind of feels like the cloud lifts and you are just able to think a little more clearly, not sure what your issues are but even if you have problems it just lets you sort them out a little more rationally.  hang in there, if this one doesn't work another will however, I know alot of people on lexapro and it has been really good for them and very few side effects, I like you didn't like the idea of meds but wow how it helped that is how i know I needed them.  you would be surprised how many do and just don't talk aobut it.  I just wonder how bad their symptoms are as mine are pretty bad, shaking and not able to eat, don't even know how I get out of bed to be honest.  I do know this helps, to have people to talk to so stay in touch, hope you feel better soon.  don't worry you will though.   that is why we have doctors and friends, they are great too however I feel that I am frustrating them they just want me to be me again.  good luck, talk to you soon.
I'm a retired physician and have been on Lexapro for 9 months.  During that time I've developed very troublesome "restless leg syndrome" and major nightmares.  I don't find either of these problems listed as side-effects of Lexapro.  However, I wonder if there could be a relationship.

Any comments?  Thanks.
I am unable to take Lexapro and Celexa due to the "restless leg" syndrome. Unfortunately it was the only side effect I suffered from these meds. I put up with it for years until I realized it was coming from those medications. As soon as med was out of my system the syndrome ended.
I just switched from Celexa 20 mg to Lexapro 10 mg and I am having twitchness and nausea as well.  Has anyone done this or had the same symptoms...I am worried!
Isn't Lexapro supposed to cut anxiety?  It feels as if it is giving me a nervous breakdown after just two days at 10mg per day.
Oh yeah, the thing about the Lexapro is I wasn't even depressed, I just couldn't sleep.  Doc gave me Lexapro and now I am shaking, not eating, and definitely not sleeping.  I  feel like I am having a really bad LSD experience without hallucinations.  My wife is used to a self confident 6'4", 220 lb. man, and now I am shaking like a scared puppy.  Pleas some suggestions.  This is more embarrasing than anything I have gone through.  I don't even know if I can go to work.
I started Lexapro 10 mg about a month ago for depression and feel tired all the time, I fall asleep about 9pm almost everynight and sleep until 11am and still feel tired.  Then I yawn all day is this a normal side effect that anyone else had experienced??  I take this medication at night because I am afraid to take it durning the day in fear I might fall asleep or something at work.  Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated!  Thanks!
After all I have gone through with the Lexapro, I went to a sleep psychiatrist.  He said that I  needed to take Seroguel. Seroquel is a pshch med.  but it is also supposed to relax and make you sleep.  I even searched the net to find anyone that complained about this med.  I found plenty that said it would put weight on you, but everyone was in agreement that it makes them sleep.  I took 50 mg. last night.  I felt as nervous as ever.  After 31/2 hours, I fell asleep for one hour, then started pacing the house until time to go to work.  Will this hell ever end?  I'm hoping that my extreme anxiety was the fear of taking another med.  It now be in my mind, but it is there anyway.

Tony, I probably should have listened to you.
My advice to anyone about SSRI-antidepressants,
If you do not want to hurt yourself or others, are unable to work or enjoy your life or do simple things such as go out in public or take a shower, or are not diagnosed with clinical depression, DO NOT TAKE ANY SSRI. The FDA has been far too lenient with the pharmaceutical companies due to weak laws passed by politicians taking campaign contributions from special interest pharmaceuticals. This makes it easy for pharmacy representatives to push drugs (and easy for the family doc)that are being prescribed for other conditions for which they haven't been tested. Please make it your last resort behind all other methods of therapy, most importantly, lifestyle changes. These meds haven't been tested for long term use and have been linked to birth defects to unborn children, killing some, also sending many to the ER with crazy side effects. These are very serious medications that should never be prescribed by anyone other than a specialist,(although, I am leary of them also)
Don't take chances with these meds until you've done very much research and investigation. (I took 1 pill of Lexapro (10mg.) and have been unable to work for 3 months!!!!)I have also communicated with 7 others who have had a very similar situation to mine. Don't let the Doctors throw these dangerous medications at you or it may ruin your life. It seems that some or many people may be benefitting from these medications, and I don't claim to know everything abot them. Keep in mind, all the doctors, specialists and pharmacists that I have spoken to, claim to know VERY LITTLE about what these drugs actually do to the brain and nervous system. My point is, once you take these meds, you are on your own. If you have a horrible problem caused by these drugs, you will be alone, noone will want to help you, noone will be able to help you, you will be considered a liability and pushed aside as if your case holds no importance. I am speaking from my experience.I hope this helps at least one person make a better decision and subsequently saves many the grief that I have endured.
Thank you for reading all of this.
Tony
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Simple, drug-free tips to banish the blues.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
For many, mental health care is prohibitively expensive. Dr. Rebecca Resnik provides a guide on how to find free or reduced-fee treatment in your area