Depression/Mental Health Forum

Lyme Disease- I am having blackouts 5-10 times per day

I got Lyme Disease in 1975 when I was 8 years old, and diagnosed in 1988.  Received 2 weeks of IV Rocephen, and was doing okay until this past March when everything fell apart.  I went through the antibiotics (Rocephen and Zithromax, but were extremely allergic to both).  Currently, I'm in severe pain, especially in the joints, I feel dizzy and disoriented.  I forget  things easily (not a good trait for a teacher), but my biggest worry are my blackouts.  I'll be walking along, and just fall flat.  I will stay there until someone finds me.  At that time, I don't know my name, where I am, or what I was doing.  I've undergone numerous tests:  spinal taps, MRIs, EEGs, and nothing shows anything wrong with my brain.  I'm desperate for help.
Thank You,
Suzanne Sheffield

Dear Suzanne Sheffield,

It is unfortunate you are sufffering from these symptoms.
It is often difficult trying to cope with multiple medical symptoms.
Prior to attempting to diagnose a mental illness as a contributory factor, a complete medical evaluation by an infectious disease specialist or a neurologist would be needed.

If your symptoms become overwhelming consider the assistance of a therapist to help you cope.

Best Wishes

HFHS M.D.-SW
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Simple, drug-free tips to banish the blues.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
For many, mental health care is prohibitively expensive. Dr. Rebecca Resnik provides a guide on how to find free or reduced-fee treatment in your area