Depression/Mental Health Forum

PAXIL/ANXIETY

I was diagnosed by my psychiatrist a little more than five weeks ago with social anxiety disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and depression. I'm a 18 year old male. I'm also seeing a thearipist. For a little more than five weeks I've been on Paxil. I started with 20mg and am now up to 40mg. I started 40mg about 9 days ago. When should I start to see the full thearaputic effect? How does it happen? I haven't really had any side effects. Sometimes I feel like I'm really hyper and then then I'm tired. Do you know what causes that? My psychiatrist uped the dosage to 40mg because I wasn't really feeling any reduced anxiety. I feel like my mood is better and my obseesive thoughts are reducing and I'm more energetic. But it has only has reduced a small part of anxiety. I need something more for anxiety. Do you think Serzone would work better since there are no anxiety side effects and is the most sedating? I don't have a problem with feeling tired or dizzy. Would Klonopin also work to releive my anxiety? Could I take Paxil and Klonopin? My next appointmet with my psychiatrist isn't for another 7 weeks. Do you think this is a too long of time. Should I call him to see if he could do anything else for my axiety?  Could you please try to answer all my question fully? I would greatly appreciate it. Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks for your time,
DAN
You are seeing some positive effects, you will probably want to stay on paxil. I would suggest you call your doctor and ask him re klonopin to help with anxiety. You should have seen an effect by now, so adding a specific anti-anxiety medication would make sense to me if your doctor agrees.
I am taking klonopin to reduce the hyper effect I got and still am getting from prozac. It helps some. It's addictive though. Oxypam works too and of course Ativan if the doc will prescribe it. Also Xanax...all are addictive but they to work.
Chris
Thanks for your comment chrismary. I read klonopin works best for reducing anxiety with social anxiety disorder. What effects did klonopin have on you when you first started it? Did it reduce anxiety? Any side effects? I read your post, what is mask face? I'm glad I didn't have the same side effects as you when I started taking my SSRI. Hope it's not too bad. Could you reply to this post or email me? I would really appreciate it.
Email: ***@****

Thanks,
DAN
paxil is the best drug that I have tried for anxiety/social phobia and obsessive thoughts.  Why don't u just continue on this drug since u have noticed some improvement... and see if u improve further?  by the way, i have tried serzone, and it did absolutely NOTHING for my anxiety.  I would hate to think that u start on some cocktail of drugs at such a young age.. anyway good luck,
Peggy
I called my psychiatrist and he prescribed 0.5 mg of clonozepam 3 times daily. I'm also taking 40mg of paxil daily. The clonozepam has helped sooo much with my anxiety. I din't know he prescibed me the generic clonozepam, I thought he would prescribe klonopin. So I'm taking the generic clonazepam right now. Does klonopin work better than the generic clonazepam. Does anyone know what the difference is?

Thanks,
DAN
Paxil worked for me for social anxiety and panic attacks. The trouble came when I tried to get off of it. I experienced severe nausea, shocking sensations in my chest and brain, aggressive tendencies, etc., etc. You should look up the symptoms of withdrawals to be aware of them at least. I've never taken Klonopin, but I have seen complaints about it's side effects too. Good luck.
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Simple, drug-free tips to banish the blues.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
For many, mental health care is prohibitively expensive. Dr. Rebecca Resnik provides a guide on how to find free or reduced-fee treatment in your area