Depression/Mental Health Forum

Panic Attacks

I suffer from panic attacks but do not have insurance :(  I have tried stuff like Paxil, Zoloft but I am allergic to SSRI's.  Does anybody know of any herbal remedies or tea's that are good for anxiety/panic attacks?  I am a drinker... I drink about 4x's a week... about 1-2 quarts each time.  I am 20 years old and been suffering with this for a while.  I have tried to quit drinking many times... no sucess.  Ever time {after drinking} i wake up and have the worst panic attacks of my life.  My breathing is weird... very tired all day... cant do anything.... anxiety... and this horrible fear of dying.  I use to get panic attacks everyday without drinking or anything.  Now I only get them after drinking!  Im starting to get scared and think these are not panic attacks and maybe something else.  Any advice would be helpful.  Thanks.
These definitely sound like panic attacks. Even without insurance, you can get help at a community mental health service in your community. I strongly recommend it.  Drinking and drugs only represses the panic temporarily..you have to get it treated, or it will continue to distort your way of life.
I have taken Kava (herbal) with good results.  Instead of drinking I'd try doing something else (work a puzzle, clean the house) to avoid having attacks (brought on by drinking).  Anyway, I've taken Kava and try vitamin B-6 supplement it helps your nervousness.
I suffer from panic attacks at times also. They get really bad when there is a lot of stress in my life. I take ativan to help stop them. Sometimes I can feel one coming on and take 2 mgs of the ativan and it will sometimes stop it before it happens. I also drank alot for 13 years and it almost killed me, I had no money or insurance but I got funding from a mental health center and went to inpatient treatment for 17 days and finished up as a out patient at the mental health center. That was 13 years ago and have never drank since. When I started drinking I thought it was the answer to all my problems but it soon became THE problem in my life. I hope anyone who is having drinking problems find the strength to quit. I have seen to many people die from it or worse yet kill someone else while driving drunk. Or end up with shot livers and on and on. I hope I don't sound like a add for AA because to be honest I haven't been to a meeting in years.  Tom W.
As far as panic attacks go, deep breathing (not shallow breathing) helps a lot.  Gestalt therapy also is a great help.  I also recommend looking into whether you have ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder, which I do not consider a disorder, but it is definitely a brain thing and causes anxiety) and/or hypoclycemia (low blood sugar, which causes terrible depression).

In the case of ADD, just having the right job and environment can help get rid of the anxiety (usually a creative and non-judgemental environment helps).  

In the case of hypoglycemia, a diet that avoids sugar, refined carbs, and stimulants like caffein, etc.  helps a lot.  Read the book, Potatoes, not Prozac, by Dathleen DesMaisons.
I realize that you drink, but DO NOT start taking Ativan too.  Ativan and alcohol are the worst! I think you should consider what the Dr. said about your local Community Mental Health Service.  I did that and got in NA there and it made a world of difference. My dr. also got me on Paxil (and I know you're allergic, but it STOPS WORKING EVENTUALLY anyways).
  So you COULD to get into a Yoga class and work on breathing and relaxation.  What I realized about the Paxil for relaxing is: it's going to stop working and I can't increase the dose forever, so I should work on relaxing more naturally.
  Please try to cut the drinking down to just Red Wine a couple a night!
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Simple, drug-free tips to banish the blues.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
For many, mental health care is prohibitively expensive. Dr. Rebecca Resnik provides a guide on how to find free or reduced-fee treatment in your area