Depression/Mental Health Forum

Paxil vs Zoloft

I suffered from depression for most of my young life before I was properly diagnosed.  Between the ages of 20 and 35 I had 3 major depressive episodes.  I am 40 now and have been taking Paxil for 5 years (60mg.) with wonderful results.  It has relieved my depressive episodes though I still suffer from a slight lack of energy/motivation and OCD.  My big problem is that I have put on 80 pounds in the last 5 years and now have a huge appetite!  I have recently been told by a friend that I should switch to Zoloft as that would probably help decrease my appetite.  I am no longer seeing a psychiatrist and am getting my prescriptions from my general practitioner.  If I switch to Zoloft will I still have the positive results concerning my depression.  What would the comparative prescription be for Zoloft?

If you do not think this is the answer for my appetite increase can you suggest something else that I can take in conjunction with the Paxil?

Thanks!
The standard way of treating this problem is to add Wellbutrin to the Paxil instead of switching.  Weight gain with Zoloft is just as likely as paxil, so there is no advantage to that.
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Simple, drug-free tips to banish the blues.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
For many, mental health care is prohibitively expensive. Dr. Rebecca Resnik provides a guide on how to find free or reduced-fee treatment in your area