Depression/Mental Health Forum

SSRIs Side Effects and Withdrawal Symptoms

They exist.  They matter.  They have ruined and, in some cases, totally destroyed, lives.  There is ample information out there for even an interested amateur to look for.  
Simply, for instance, go to Google and type in:
paxil side effects withdrawal symptoms
and the REAL picture will very startlingly show itself.
Cold turkey can be very disabling and even slow weaning can still result in big problems.  Research.  Educate yourselves before making decisions as to how to best to minimise these problems.

There are court cases, ethical research results by independent researchers, victims, petitions, articles and books written by eminent doctors such as Peter Breggin, David Healy, Dr Anne Tracy, Dr Mosher etc - those who retain the concept of the hypocratic oath they once signed - eminent doctors and psychiatrists who put people before profit.

You are also all invited to visit the following site where  quite a lot of accessible info has already been collated for ease of use.  
http://paxilsupport.homestead.com/Index.html

My Question?  Will the medhelp site be incorporating some of the information in future?

Thanks :)
Peagee
I can't speak for the site administrators, but the information you have offered our viewers is quite valuable.  The problem is that there are so many other patients who do not have the side effects, so what is needed is a balanced view, and that view comes from the comparison studies, all of which indicate the true extent of side effects and positive effects compared to a control group.
Whoops, lets try this url again and see if it comes up as a link:
Just one tiny example of info available on the internet:

Extract from:
http://www.citizen.org/eletter/drugprofiles/paroxetine.htm
"Adverse Effects

Call your doctor immediately if you experience:

signs of overdose: agitation and restlessness, convulsions, seizures, unusual excitement, severe nausea and vomiting, severe drowsiness, dry mouth, irritability, large pupils, fast heartbeat
signs of allergic reaction or serum sickness-like syndrome: skin rash or hives associated with burning or tingling in fingers, hands, or arms, chills or fever, swollen glands, joint or muscle pain, swelling of feet or lower legs, or trouble breathing
signs of hypoglycemia: anxiety, chills, cold sweats, confusion, cool, pale skin, difficulty in concentration, drowsiness, excessive hunger, fast heartbeat, headache, nervousness, shakiness, unsteady walk, unusual tiredness or weakness
suicidal thoughts or behavior
chills or fever
joint or muscle pain
skin rash, hives, or itching
difficulty breathing
cold sweats
confusion
excessive hunger
unusual excitement
swollen glands
swelling of feet or lower legs
difficulty speaking
dry mouth
decreased sexual drive
stomach or abdominal cramps
gas
tiredness or weakness
trouble sleeping
mania
Call your doctor if these symptoms continue:

anxiety and nervousness
nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea
increased or decreased appetite or weight loss
constipation
frequent urination
change in taste
drowsiness
dizziness
headache
increased sweating
disturbing dreams
changes in vision
chest pain
irregular or fast heartbeat
stuffy nose
cough
impaired concentration
trembling or quivering
feeling of warmth or heat
flushing or redness of skin, especially on face and neck
Periodic Tests

Ask your doctor which of these tests should be done periodically while you are taking this drug:

supervision of depression with suicidal tendencies
WARNING
WITHDRAWAL REACTIONS WITH SELECTIVE SEROTONIN REUPTAKE INHIBITOR ANTIDEPRESSANTS (SSRIS)

A withdrawal reaction has been reported with all SSRI antidepressants. The symptoms generally start within one to three days after stopping the drug, and generally resolve within one to two weeks after the drug has been discontinued. Withdrawal symptoms may occur even when the dosage of the drug is gradually decreased. The main symptoms of this reaction are: dizziness, vertigo, uncoordination, nausea and vomiting, and flu-like symptoms that include fatigue, lethargy, muscle pain and chills.

This reaction appears to be most common with paroxetine, and to a lesser extent with sertraline and fluoxetine. Withdrawal has also been reported with fluvoxamine. Because this is the newest SSRI how often the withdrawal reaction occurs is unknown."
http://www.antipsychiatry.org/mosher.loren.1.htm
"How Drug Company Money Has Corrupted Psychiatry
by Loren R. Mosher, M.D.

The American Psychiatric Association (APA) is the nationwide organization to which most psychiatrists belong. In some ways it is a trade union. A large proportion of its income is from drug company advertising in its journals and newspaper. It also receives "unrestricted educational grants" and convention revenue from drug companies. Drug company sponsored symposia and exhibitions dominate the two major annual psychiatric conventions. Of course, the symposia speakers are paid handsomely for their half-day appearances. In my opinion, the APA is so dependent on pharmaceutical company support that it can not afford to criticize the overuse and misuse of psychotropic drugs. Perhaps more importantly, the APA is unwilling to mandate education of psychiatrists about the the seriousness of the short and long-term toxicities and withdrawal reactions from the drugs.
The drug companies pay speakers ($1000-2000 per appearance) who give psychiatric grand rounds and/or evening speeches (dinner provided by the company) to local psychiatric societies. Speakers come from lists of psychiatrists who will basically endorse their products. Doctors training to be psychiatrists are specially targeted for these speakers.
The drug companies give contracts to university based and private psychiatric research companies to conduct drug trials that are required for U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) approval of the drugs they sell. The company provides the protocol and the researcher may receive as much as $40,000 per patient that completes the study. This allows the drug company considerable influence on the way the drug studies are conducted. All of these drug manufacturer activities have increased in scope and intensity since the introduction of newly patented drugs, beginning with Prozac in 1989. They must reap the profits before patents run out.
Research protocols used in studies of psychiatric drugs required for the approval of the FDA are supposed to be reviewed by Institutional Review Boards (IRB's) to be sure they do not pose undue risks to the study subjects. Members of these boards have been found to be highly paid consultants to drug companies whose protocols they review. That is, they have obvious conflicts of interests and are not objective, unbiased reviewers of the psychiatric drug studies over which they pass judgment. The latest "novel" anti-psychotic drug that has been approved by our federal drug regulatory agency (FDA) is Zeldox, which the FDA allowed to be introduced to the US market despite Zeldox's dangers.
In my view American psychiatry has become drug dependent (that is, devoted to pill pushing) at all levels - private practitioners, public system psychiatrists, university faculty and organizationally. What should be the most humanistic medical specialty has become mechanistic, reductionistic, tunnel-visioned and dehumanizing. Modern psychiatry has forgotten the Hippocratic principle: Above all, do no harm."
Thank you for replying :)  With all due respect, a balanced view is the result of an INFORMED view.  And if there were a true 'balanced view' then there would not now be several thousand posts on the two Petitions that I know of: Prozac (7+ thousand) and Paxil (c. 3.5 thousand), all of whom are either suffering from adverse effects or withdrawal symptoms or, worse, have lost a child, relative or friend to these drugs.  If there had been a BALANCED view then several of my friends would still have their children, young human beings with a right to life, with them.  Alive.  If there had been a BALANCED view (an INFORMED view) then I, along with very many others, would not have been taken off Seroxat (Paxil) cold turkey BECAUSE comprehensive information would have been provided to the doctors by GLAXOSMITHKLINE.  

Those victims who are 'lucky' enough to realise initially that something is unusually wrong, those who are lucky enough to have access to a computer, those who are 'lucky' enough to have had such serious adverse effects that a visit to the doctor was impossible (ie, those who had bad zaps etc) and so did an internet search that day  to see what would cause such symptoms (thinking it was the onset of stroke, or brain tumour) - THOSE VICTIMS are the ones who are bringing the information in the absence of it having been provided by pharmaceutical companies.  

Some victims are NOT so lucky.  They get to a doctor or go to site which does not have the facts and are convinced by uninformed professionals that the problem:  the side effects, the zaps, seizures, bleeding eyes, muscular pains, diaorrhea (sp), vomiting, inability to concentrate, out-of-normal character aggression, uncharacteristic impulsive behaviours including  suicidal ideation ... ad nauseum, are a manifestation of their depression.  And, having been convinced because "doctor is a professional so must know best however strange it seems" are willing then to take MORE of the drug, or a DIFFERENT drug and so the pharmaceutical profit making machine entraps more people who do NOT become a part of the statistical evidence showing itself.  So the considerable number of victims who ARE on petitions, support boards, etc are only a fraction of the true figure.

Why are the  FACTS not accurately given?  It isn't so difficult to guess even without the benefit of having researched and read things such as the legal case found here:
http://www.breggin.com/paxilcomplaint.html
Personal profit/power is quite the seducer.  As pharmaceutical companies are very well aware. And it takes a strong character, with an equally strong concern for humanity and respect for lives under his/her care,  to retain his/her principles under the considerable pressures brought to bear by those pharma-companies.  And it is for this reason that Mosher, Breggin, Healy, Tracy, and a few other very honourable experts are the heroes.  I'm hoping that more heroes will emerge in time as more professionals BECOME aware and decide to do the right thing and so honour the Hippocratic Oath which, I believe, states "above all, do no harm".  

In case you are wondering - no, I do not intend to become part of any legal action.  Yes, I would love to have the means to live comfortably but will, hopefully, get there eventually in my own slow way and without harm to others, not by taking dirty money accumulated by drug companies at the cost of lives.  

In the meantime, I'm doing my best, in my way,  to help in the fight to force GlaxoSmithKline into accountability  before more lives are ruined.   I do NOT intend  to be guilty of bystander apathy - and I'm sort of  hoping that, having now got information from which to research, neither will you?

Thanks for your time :)

Paula
Dangers of SSRI's

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DiscloseTheTruth/messagesearch?query=ssri

I don't know anyone who has not suffered SSRI addiction and withdrawal unless it was not identified as such and considered to be "relapse".  SSRI withdrawal is severe and dangerous as SSRI's are complex chemical compounds.  

DiscloseTheTruth
Thank you for replying :)  With all due respect, a balanced view is the result of an informed view.  And if there were a true 'balanced view' then there would not now be several thousand posts on the two Prozac (7+ thousand) and Paxil (c. 3.5 thousand) Petitions that I know of , all of whom are suffering from adverse effects/withdrawal symptoms or, worse, have lost a child, relative or friend to these drugs.  If there had been a BALANCED view then several of my friends would still have their children, young human beings with a right to life, with them.  Alive.  If there had been a BALANCED view (an INFORMED view) then I, along with very many others, would not have been taken off Seroxat (Paxil) cold turkey because  information would have been provided to the doctors by GSK.  

Personal profit/power is quite the seducer.  As pharmaceutical companies are very well aware.  And it takes a strong character, with an equally strong concern for humanity and respect for lives under his/her care,  to retain his/her principles under the considerable pressures brought to bear by those pharma-companies.  And it is for this reason that Mosher, Breggin, Healy, Tracy, and a few other very honourable experts are the heroes.  I'm hoping that more heroes will emerge in time as more professionals BECOME aware and decide to do the right thing and so honour the Hippocratic Oath which, as  Mosher pointed out, states "above all, do no harm".  

In the meantime, I'm doing my best, in my way,  to help in the fight to force GlaxoSmithKline into accountability  before more lives are ruined.   I do NOT intend  to be guilty of bystander apathy - and I'm sort of  hoping that, now having access to sufficient links available  to assist you in researching this matter,  neither will you?

Thanks for your time :)

Paula
Withdrawal from paroxetine can be severe, warns FDA
http://bmj.com/cgi/content/full/324/7332/260
I am a 25 year old male and am just getting started on meds.  I have just been prescribed Zoloft to treat my bipolar disorder (manic depression).  After reading some of the testimonials I am feeling a little nrvous about taking the drug.  I have been very lethargic and sluggish for the past 12 months and after repeated family adivse choose to see a MD.  I am to start with 25mg for a week and then switch to 50mg daily.  I am worried about the weight gain being that I am already 30lbs over my normal weight.  I am also worried about the keyed up feelings people refer to.  Does this medication make anyone over anxious or flighty?  I have heard that Zoloft in combination with Ritalin can help with some of the initial side effects..any truth in this? Any first time experiences with the med would help.  Also I am completely new to SSRIs.
I am a 25 year old male and am just getting started on meds.  I have just been prescribed Zoloft to treat my bipolar disorder (manic depression).   I am also worried about the keyed up feelings people refer to.  Does this medication make anyone over anxious or flighty?  I have heard that Zoloft in combination with Ritalin can help with some of the initial side effects..any truth in this? Any first time experiences with the med would help.  Also I am completely new to SSRIs.
I am a 25 year old male and am just getting started on meds.  I have heard that Zoloft in combination with Ritalin can help with some of the initial side effects..any truth in this? Any first time experiences with the med would help.  Also I am completely new to SSRIs.
I have heard that Zoloft in combination with Ritalin can help with some of the initial side effects..any truth in this? Any first time experiences with the med would help.
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Simple, drug-free tips to banish the blues.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
For many, mental health care is prohibitively expensive. Dr. Rebecca Resnik provides a guide on how to find free or reduced-fee treatment in your area