Aa
A
A
A
Close
Depression/Mental Health Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

Should I take Propranolol (Inderal) when I have a history of depression?

I am currently taking Propranolol (Inderal) 40mg for social anxiety, but I have been reading up on it and have found that a side effect can be depression. I am not currently on antidepressants and have not taken any regularly for about 1 year but have been on and off Prozac since I was 17 (now 23). The Propranolol (Inderal) is not taken daily it is only taken before encountering stressful situations. I would like to know the risks in relation to depression and whether I should consider reducing my dose or changing to another drug such as Atenolol (Tenormin)?
1 Responses
242532 tn?1269553979
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Using as intermittent doses should not lead to depression. It is always a good idea to use it as infrequently as possible and at the lowest dose that works.
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Simple, drug-free tips to banish the blues.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
For many, mental health care is prohibitively expensive. Dr. Rebecca Resnik provides a guide on how to find free or reduced-fee treatment in your area