Depression/Mental Health Forum

Social Phobia

I am a graduate student.  I have a fear of public speaking and a stage/performance fear when I speak in front of new people or students of my class.  A few of my classes require that I give powerpoint presentations in front of the class.  When I am on the spot, my voice and hands become shaky - I sometimes lose concentration to the point that I cannot get words out of my mouth even though I go in front of the class very well prepared.

One time, I embarrased myself so bad that I decided that I NEED HELP.
I have a presentation coming up next week, so I decided to go and seek medical help today.  I went to my doctor and he diagnosed me with social anxiety.  He said that the best treatment is cognitive behavioral therapy, but he prescribed me some medication to get me through this semester.  He prescribed 10 mg propranolol (inderal) 3 times a day and an extra 10 mg inderal 1 hour before the presentation + 0.25 mg Xanax 1 hour before the presentation.

He assured me that the presentation will go well.  But I am really scared I might get a panic attack again when I am giving the presentation.

Can you guys help me figure out if this medication will help me thru or not?

Also, another doctor I visited recommended that I take 25 mg Tofranil x 3 a day.  I want to ask if there is any drug interaction between tofranil, propranolol and xanax?

Thank you
Your own doctor gave you the exact right medications to control your symptoms.  Cognitive therapy is a good long term solution. No, do not mix Tofranil with these medications...very bad combination.
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Simple, drug-free tips to banish the blues.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
For many, mental health care is prohibitively expensive. Dr. Rebecca Resnik provides a guide on how to find free or reduced-fee treatment in your area