Depression/Mental Health Forum

Starting Lexapro

I was on Zoloft for about 4 months with 125mg being the highes dose. My Psychiatrist took me off of Zoloft 2.5 weeks ago because of GI issues with the med. I have been med free for 2.5 weeks and I'm starting to feel bad again so he is starting me on Lexapro tonight. 5mg is my start up dose. Now I also see a psychologist because I believe depression/anxiety is two fold. You need good counseling and medication if needed so right now I feel like I need the meds as well as the counseling. My question is, what can I expect out of Lexpro for the first five days? I've heard great things about this med and that is has a low Side effects profile. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jimmy
You should not expect much in the first five days ordinarily, but some people have been pleasantly surprised, so hope for the best and focus on your counseling...that's your long term cure.
If you need further info about lexapro go to this website www.myquiickdrugs.com/lexapro.php They have all the info for before and after you take lexapro also they have pretty good prices
Lexapro 10 mg - 30 Tabs $99.00  
Lexapro 10 mg - 60 Tabs $167.00  
Lexapro 10 mg - 90 Tabs $243.00  
Lexapro 20 mg - 30 Tabs $96.00  
Lexapro 20 mg - 60 Tabs $180.00  
Lexapro 20 mg - 90 Tabs $250.00
My advice to anyone about SSRI-antidepressants,
If you do not want to hurt yourself or others, are unable to work or enjoy your life or do simple things such as go out in public or take a shower, or are not diagnosed with clinical depression, DO NOT TAKE ANY SSRI. The FDA has been far too lenient with the pharmaceutical companies due to weak laws passed by politicians taking campaign contributions from special interest pharmaceuticals. This makes it easy for pharmacy representatives to push drugs (and easy for the family doc)that are being prescribed for other conditions for which they haven't been tested. Please make it your last resort behind all other methods of therapy, most importantly, lifestyle changes. These meds haven't been tested for long term use and have been linked to birth defects to unborn children, killing some, also sending many to the ER with crazy side effects. These are very serious medications that should never be prescribed by anyone other than a specialist,(although, I am leary of them also)
Don't take chances with these meds until you've done very much research and investigation. (I took 1 pill of Lexapro (10mg.) and have been unable to work for 3 months!!!!)I have also communicated with 7 others who have had a very similar situation to mine. Don't let the Doctors throw these dangerous medications at you or it may ruin your life. It seems that some or many people may be benefitting from these medications, and I don't claim to know everything abot them. Keep in mind, all the doctors, specialists and pharmacists that I have spoken to, claim to know VERY LITTLE about what these drugs actually do to the brain and nervous system. My point is, once you take these meds, you are on your own. If you have a horrible problem caused by these drugs, you will be alone, noone will want to help you, noone will be able to help you, you will be considered a liability and pushed aside as if your case holds no importance. I am speaking from my experience.I hope this helps at least one person make a better decision and subsequently saves many the grief that I have endured.
Thank you for reading all of this.
Tony
Hi, I have OCD. Not the compulsive part but extreme obsessio. I had ver scary thoughts, sexual, afraid I might do something out in public that was taboo. I began taking Lexapro and the symptoms totally disapeared. This condition had taken so much from my life but i am so thankful for this effective remedy. I hope this helps someone. Take care.
AJC,
What did lexapro do to you to keep you from working for 3 months? I just moved from the 5mg starting dose of this to 10mg, and I may not want to continue taking it once I know what you know.
just took my first lexapro 10mg didn't like the way it made me feel. i felt drunk and blurry eyed.anyone any advice. debs000
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Simple, drug-free tips to banish the blues.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
For many, mental health care is prohibitively expensive. Dr. Rebecca Resnik provides a guide on how to find free or reduced-fee treatment in your area