Depression/Mental Health Forum

Thoughts!!

Hi!!

Most of my life, I am 41, I have had depression in one form or another. I believe I have chronic depression, I go in and out quite often.

I put most of my problems on my thoughts, I have suicidal thoughts a lot of the time, especially due to circumstances that I think are bad, whether they are or not is beside the point, it is the way I seen them.

I have all of the symptoms of depression, and yet the docs. have me on Anafranil and Luvox which is for OCD.

What is the difference between OCD and depression? Are they one and the same or two different disorders?

I also have Fibromyalgia and I can live with the chronic pain and fatigue, but I can't live with the pain of depression.

Lynda
Lynda,

OCD(Obsessive Compulsive disorder) is a seperate disorder from depression but often goes hand in hand with each other.  OCD is characterized by recurrent, persistent thoughts, impulses or images experienced as intrussive and cause marked anxiety(obsessions).  Compulsions, repetitive behaviors or acts that a person feels driven to perform in response to an obsession are also characteristic.
      Anafranil and Luvox are both effective  medications used to treat OCD and depression.  I suggest that you have a psychiatric evaluation and treatment if not already done.  You may also find it helpful to search this forums archives using OCD as a keyword.

This information is intended for educational purposes only.  Please see your personal physician for specific health concerns.

Sincerely,

HFHS MD-JM

Keywords: OCD, Depression
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Simple, drug-free tips to banish the blues.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
For many, mental health care is prohibitively expensive. Dr. Rebecca Resnik provides a guide on how to find free or reduced-fee treatment in your area