Depression/Mental Health Forum

Use of Adderall to treat ADHD

My doctor has recently put me on 10 mg of Adderall to treat my ADHD (I am an adult).  I only take it in the morning.  I'm wondering how long Adderall stays active in my body.  I go to graduate school at night and I'm wondering if I should be taking it later in the morning so that it will continue to be effective late in the evening.  I'm concerned because I know with the Ritalin it leaves the system in approximately four hours.  I currently take it at 7:30 AM and my grad classes don't begin until 6:00 PM

_
Carrie,
Adderall is a combination of 4 amphetamine compounds, often reserved for second line treatment of Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), when Ritalin is not effective. It generally stays active in the body for about 12 hours, compared to 4-6 hours for Ritalin. Late evening doses should be avoided because of possible insomnia as a side effect. It is important that you discuss any change in your treatment plan with your doctor.
This response is for general information only. Always contact your physician for any health concerns.
Keywords: Adderall, ADHD, amphetamines, Ritalin

15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Simple, drug-free tips to banish the blues.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
For many, mental health care is prohibitively expensive. Dr. Rebecca Resnik provides a guide on how to find free or reduced-fee treatment in your area