Depression/Mental Health Forum

Weaning off of Lexapro and Zoloft

I had my daughter in November, 2000 and started on Paxil in January of 2001 (20 mg) due to post-partum depression.  I eventually got down to 10 mg of Paxil.  I eventually switched to Lexapro sometime in 2002 and gained about 30 pounds.  My family physician then just recently put me on Zoloft (25 mg.)That was about 2-3 weeks ago.  I have now decided I want to totally wean myself off of all anti-depressants.  I have just taken it upon myself to take 1/2 of the 25 mg. pill and wonder if I am doing the right thing.  HOw long will it take me to totally wean myself off the Zoloft even though I have only been on the Zoloft for a few weeks.  But remember I have been on anti-depressants since January 2001.  Please help with any advice.  Thanks.
I assume you off of both Paxil and Lexapro and we are only dealing with the zoloft problem.  If so, you should be able to wean yourself quite easily over a period of two weeks, taking one half pill every other day, then every third day, then stop. Be sure and check with your doctor about this...getting off medications is a very good thing to do and I would encourage you to do that.
I also have gained weight with use of Lexapro, but the doctor keeps telling me that weight is not affected by the use of the medication.  Did you lose your weight after d/c lexapro?

I have d/c lexapro also about 1 month ago, but am having frequent dizzy spells.  Did you experience any of that after d/c the lexapro?

I have now been "weaning" myself off of Zoloft for about 5 weeks.  I have been taking 1/2 pill (of 25 mg.)every third day as directed by the doctor here at Med Help.  so I think it's a little too soon to see if I have lost any weight.  From what I hear, it takes up to a year to lose any weight gained by anti-anxiety medication.  My main problem now is how long will it take for the withdrawal symptoms to go away once I go off Zoloft all together?  I need to assess myself when I am completely off all medication and see if the weight gain is what was depressing me or if I truly am depressed and need medication for the rest of my life.  I hope it is the former, and not the latter.
I am in a similar boat. I am weaning off of Lexapro because I have gained over 15 lbs since I started taking it, and am currently trying to concieve. I think the extra weight gain has been making this difficult. Hopefully this will be what it takes to get a +HPT in the near future.
I have been coming off Zoloft for about 7 weeks and am having a fairly rough time of it.  I have been on a 50 mg. dose for almost 5 years and twice stopped for brief periods before restarting.  I am familiar with the side-effects of stopping the drug and have known what to expect.  First, I cut my dosage in half and dealt with dizziness, disorientation, diarrhea and fatigue which seemed to hit mid-afternoon. I stayed at that dosage for a month and then cut that in half after the symptoms pretty much stopped.  Here's the problem.  It became such a chore to get the pills chopped without crumbling that I just stopped taking any dosage after about 3 days.  Now, I really feel like I'm crashing and am unable to function really.  Should I go back to taking a small dose or if I sweat it out, how long will the withdrawals last?  Does anybody really know? I am doing this without my doctor.
I decided to stop taking paxil after a 15 lb weight gain in 1 year. It did work for me, though, I just have to admit I could not deal with the weight gain. I have been decreasing over the last couple of weeks cutting my pills in half since the pharmacist would not allow me to refill the lower dosage without physician permission. Within days of stopping the medication totally, I thought I was having a stroke. I had all the symptoms. If I had not found these forums, I would still not know what was wrong with me. Good luck to any of you that are trying to stop taking these meds.
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Simple, drug-free tips to banish the blues.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
For many, mental health care is prohibitively expensive. Dr. Rebecca Resnik provides a guide on how to find free or reduced-fee treatment in your area