Depression/Mental Health Forum

WellbutrinXL and Eating Disorder

I have been taking Wellbutrin XL for a little over a year for depression.  It has really helped me.  But what I need to know is why should you not take Wellbutrin if you have an eating disorder?  I have researced this but I have not been able to find out what the consequences of having an eating disorder and taking Wellbutrin are?  My family feels I have an eating disorder (anorexia) but I feel I don't.  I eat when I am hungry and I do go for a day or two without eating.  Am I endangering myself by doing this and taking the Wellbutrin?  I appreaciate any information you can provide me.  Thank you.
I am not aware of this limitation of the use of wellbutrin. It is frequently used with success for concommitant depression with eating disorders.
My insurance company makes it hard for me to fill my prescription of Wellbutrin because they claim that doctors prescribe it for a variety of reasons other than depression.  One of the reasons they mentioned was weight loss although they didn't explain how/why it causes weight loss.
Wellbutrin can cause seizures, especially in people who have or have had an eating disorder.  I don't know why...but it's in the packaging information accompanying the drug.
One of the side effects of wellbutrin is loss of appetite I'm assuming if you have an eating disorder welbutrin would make it worse. Has this happened since the welbutrin?
I have been taking this med for over a month and have had no noticeable decrease or increase in appetite changes. However it does speed up my metabolism, and decrease my anxiety. i have just upgraded to 300 mg and i am waiting on some more changes. I sometimes get shaky after taking it and also sometimes get a little blurred vision but ultimately there are little or no side effects.
Even if you feel you don't have an eating disorder, you should look into tackling your eating habits. I recommend going to a nutritionist who will advise you on the dangers of going a day or two without eating on a constant basis.
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Simple, drug-free tips to banish the blues.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
For many, mental health care is prohibitively expensive. Dr. Rebecca Resnik provides a guide on how to find free or reduced-fee treatment in your area