Depression/Mental Health Forum

What are the treatments available for borderline personality disorder?

I am a 22 year old male. I have been in a relationship for almost 4 years now..and we have been having some extreme difficulties. I have not been diagnosed as BPD..but I have read many articles on the disorder and it describes me 100%. I have an extreme fear of abandonment, which is very troublesome to my relationship. I see my girlfriend as either an absolute angel, or a complete ***** whom I hate very much. Even though I have these feelings, I know deep inside that I love my girl very much..and I have no idea why I'm pushing her away. After I say these things to her, and call her every name in the book I feel shameful and guilty, and then I feel like killing myself. I feel like I'm so alone..and I know I'm not. I have a cocaine and alcohol problem as well. I use these to escape so to speak. I have uncontrollable anger that is totally unneccesary. I have had this anger long before I ever tried the drugs, so I know that is not the cause. The reason why I get so angry is because I'm really afraid, and I don't know how to control my feelings. I know I need to get help, but I haven't got the money for it. Is there any way to get an affordable, yet respectable opinion on this? I also have fetal alcohol effect and I would like to know whether or not this is related. I would also like to know what the treatments are, and can I get better? I really need some help. It is destroying my relationship, along with all the others whom I love. I also forgot to mention that I am constantly accusing my girlfriend of sleeping with everybody..no matter who it is...her doctor, her co workers, I've even accused her of messing with her grandfather. I know this is a sick thing to think, but it just comes out. It's like my head keeps telling me all these things that she's doing, and I can't control the thoughts. Somebody please help me. The urge to take my own life is getting stronger, and I don't know what to do anymore. Like I said, I cannot afford a therapist. I live in Canada. Thank you in advance for your help.
Sincerely,
Jay D.
Dear Jay D.

It must be difficult maintaining a relationship wondering what you may be suffering from but it is essential that you are evaluated by a psychiatrist.

I am not too familiar with the Canadian system but you may contact your local social service to be referred to a mental health professional for a low or no cost to you.

Different forms of psychotherapy can be useful in people with Borderline Personality Disorder, to manage crises, as well as developing long term coping skills. There is no singular medical treatment for borderline personality per se, but certain medications may help with symptoms of the illness, or help with conditions that often accompany it (such as depression, impulsivity, or mood lability). Antidepressants and/or mood stabilizers may diminish impulsivity, anxiety, and mood symptoms.

Sincerely,

HFHS MD - RG
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Simple, drug-free tips to banish the blues.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
For many, mental health care is prohibitively expensive. Dr. Rebecca Resnik provides a guide on how to find free or reduced-fee treatment in your area