Depression/Mental Health Forum

addicted,obsessive son in law

I have a 23 year old son in law who is a heroin addict.  Presently he is on Methadone, but has occasional "dirty urines"
My daughter and he fight often and she has decided that in the best interest of their children, that they should separate.  
He proceeded to attempt suicide the other day by hanging himself.
My daughter wants "out" but he says he's obsessed with her and
won't let her go.  I've told her to be very careful, but that
doesn't seem to be enough.  Might you have any suggestions for
her?  He is trying to convince her that it is due to her anger
towards him that all this is going on.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Dear Michele,

It must be difficult to see your daughter going through such hard times.

Unfortunately, I could not give advice without proper understanding of the relationship and the personalities envoloved.

It is important to consider your son-in-law's risk of violence and too keep in mind that addicts are often very manipulative, they may try anything inorder to support there addiction. You must contact the proper authorities if the situation becomes violent.

My best wishes to you and your family in these difficult circumstances.

HFHS M.D.-SW
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Simple, drug-free tips to banish the blues.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
For many, mental health care is prohibitively expensive. Dr. Rebecca Resnik provides a guide on how to find free or reduced-fee treatment in your area