Depression/Mental Health Forum

adult with add?

My son was diagnosed with add/odd last November and has recently been diagnosed as depressed and prescribed prozac, he is 10yrs old.  He also is LD.  I too was LD and attended special education in school, and I have been on prozac for about four years. I think I know where he got it from!  I have many of the symptoms, over the eleven.  My question is at what point should I seek treatment?  I guess to others I might look like I function quite well but really I am a mess.  I am no longer depressed, but that's about all i can say.  I am constantly frustrated with myself as I am unable to stay focused and complete anything, causing me to explode in anger towards my children, (creating disorders like ODD in them)My husband thinks it impossible for me to have adhd, as I am able to do certain things quite well and with great inthusiam.  But these things are the things I enjoy. I hear diagnosis of adults is rather difficult, so I am not sure I want or need to go that route.  I've tried all other methods of self help there are.
Diagnosing Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) in adults can be quite difficult, especially if that diagnosis was not made earlier before the age of 7 years. Signs of ADHD in adults include inability to concentrate, difficulty in organizing and completing tasks, easy distractibility, and sudden decision making without a thought of the consequences. These symptoms may also be caused by mood disorders (such as depression and bipolar disorder), alcohol/illicit drug abuse, and personality disorders (such as Borderline Personality Disorder), which may all co-exist with ADHD.

The treatment of adult ADHD with amphetamines or Ritalin may help with an increased attention span, improved mood, and decreased impulsivity. I urge you to seek evaluation by a psychiatrist, if your symptoms are causing significant social, occupational, and/or academic impairment.
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Simple, drug-free tips to banish the blues.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
For many, mental health care is prohibitively expensive. Dr. Rebecca Resnik provides a guide on how to find free or reduced-fee treatment in your area