Depression/Mental Health Forum

celexa - depression and anxiety

My mother is 77 years old and has been going through depression and has been having anxiety attacks over simple things like leaving the house. She is very tired all the time has lost intrest in many things including eating. She has lost 25lbs in the past year.  My mom has been very resistaint to seeing a phycologist. She finally went to her general doctor. He put her on Celexa 20mg a day and told her to take it for 3 weeks and see if it works for her. Well she is more tired than before and has lost 4 more pounds. The anxiety attacks are still occuring.It has only been a week since she has started the medication and already she's discoraged. Taking the medication in the evening has not helped her tiredness and she is on no other medications. So my questions are should she up her dose? What is a efficiant amount of time to try this drug for results?  Is there another drug she can take with the Celexa to help? If you have any other comments that could help my mom please give them. Thank you , Maria
Dear Maria

Celexa (citalopram) is usually used at a dose of 20 - 40 mg/day in the treatment of depression. 20 mg/day is the recommended dose for most elderly patients. It should be used atleast for a period of 4 to 6 weeks for positive response. In elderly patients, dosage is increased under close observation after few weeks of no response. Side effects usually resolve after a few weeks. Other anti depressants such as Zoloft, Remeron and Paxil seem to be effective in elderly patients with depression. Remeron seems to be the most commonly used drug in elderly patients with depression and weight loss. I would recommend that she talk to her doctor about other available options.

Sincerely
HFHS-M.D.
i am depressed since a long time and is taking effexor and is not well up to now.
Maria,
      Please try to convince your Mother to stay on the medicine, and give it time. I've been on celexa for 5 weeks now (30 mg.) and still haven't felt the final results. It takes time...a good 6 to 8 weeks to feel results. Most antidepressants take this long to kick in so switching drugs won't help. Also, celexa isn't known to help insomnia, but in time it does help the patient relax enough to sleep. Like many people that suffer from depression I too did suffer from insomnia, and the celexa has helped a great deal relaxing me to the point that I can sleep again. If she wants to up the dosage she should wait to talk to her doctor after 3 or 4 weeks. I hope that she hangs in there, from what I've heard celexa is one of the best antidepressants out there right now. Depression is rough, so I hope you and your Mother hang in there.
                              God Bless,
                                        Laura
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Simple, drug-free tips to banish the blues.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
For many, mental health care is prohibitively expensive. Dr. Rebecca Resnik provides a guide on how to find free or reduced-fee treatment in your area