Depression/Mental Health Forum

grief

Posted by Jane on June 03, 1999 at 10:20:13
My 27 year old stepson was severely injured in a car accident and is in rehab with a brain injury and permanent spinal cord damage. There are so many complications to this and I am becoming hard pressed to deal with it. I've lost about 8 pounds and today I am sobbing over my keyboard. I don't know who to talk to who would not think that I am just being a big baby and complaining. My husband doesn't need to hear it, ny co-workers and friends are probably sick of me and my family would be ashamed of me, I'm sure.

Posted by HFHS.MD -D.E. on June 07, 1999 at 11:58:54
Dear Jane;
From what you have described, it is possible that you are suffering from a major depressive disorder.This is characterized by depressed mood most of the day, more days than not, loss of interest in activities, decreased energy, guilt, problems with eating and sleeping, etc. You mentioned that you lost 8 lbs. and that you have been having crying spells. Both of these plus the stress that you have been going through with your stepson's accident could be indicative of depression. I understand that you are scared of the stigma that could be placed on you if you do seek help but this should not stop you from doing so. Depression is treatable. In addition, some communities have support groups for spinal injury patients and their families. I hope you will find it reassuring that there is help available and that depression is treatable with medications and therapy.Good Luck! I hope you will find this information helpful although this is only for general education purposes and is not a substitute for a formal consultation. You may call Henry Ford Behavioral Health at (248)689-7576 for an evaluation. Key words: grief/depression

15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Simple, drug-free tips to banish the blues.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
For many, mental health care is prohibitively expensive. Dr. Rebecca Resnik provides a guide on how to find free or reduced-fee treatment in your area