Depression/Mental Health Forum

long term medication for anxiety

Hello.  I am writing regarding my wife, who has problems with anxiety and "feeling things too much."  We know of medications such as Valium, Xanax, etc.  What anti-anxiety medications are safe for long-time, even lifetime,  usage?  My wife would take the medication in small dosages so as not to become addicted.  Do these types of medications make a difference when used over the long-term and in small dosages?

What are the potential side effects to this approach?

Again, we are not looking for an antidepressant as much as an anti-anxiety medication with few side effects when used over the long term.  Also, the goal is to help her with her anxiety, not to turn her into a zombie.  We would want her to maintain her "true self," so to speak, not become overly sedated.

Lastly, can a person safely take a small dosage of an anti-anxiety medication on a regular basis and then up the dosage just before certain overly stressful events - and then, after the stressful event, return to the lower dosage?

Please advise.  Thanks very much.
Buspar is the medication you are looking for..its ideal for long term use, no sedative or withdrawal or cognitive impairment side effects.   Takes three weeks to start working, and have to get up to dose of 30 mg./day to be most effective... Talk to your doctor about this medication.
The two first-line medications for anxiety are antidepressants and Benzothiazipine (Valium, Xanax, Klonopin?). Buspar can be taken long-term supplemented by small doses of Benzo in time of stress. Psychotherapy (CBP...) is superior to medications and is free from side effects.
I suggest as well psycotherapy, acupunture (!!!) and don't those medicines you are taking because they are highly addictive.
I was diagnosed with GAD about 3 years ago.  My doctor prescribed Zoloft to me and I took one pill.  Within 6 hours of taking the pill I had just about every side effect that it mentions.  I was then prescribed Paxil.  I took half a pill to start, and eventually made it up to 20mg a day. I had clenching teeth, dry mouth and my yawning felt odd, but it was better than the Zoloft so I stayed with it. I have been on Paxil for 1 year now and I have gained 50lbs.  I am very disappointed about the weight gain and asked the doctor what he could do for me.  He prescribed Effexor XR and I am scared to try it because of the problems I had with Zoloft.  What should I do? Should I stay with Paxil and not worry about the weight gain?
I have GAD, and have been on Effexor for eighteen months or so. Try it, because there are zero side-effects as far as I can tell, no problem drinking wine, no weight gain etc. The devil is in the withdrawal symptoms, but if you decide to go off you just have to taper carefully. Otherwise, I have to say that it's a great drug for anxiety, I just feel like I can handle everything now -- no fear of flying, no wondering how the world is going to end, no thinking I have cancer every time I feel an ache or pain, much more relaxed in professional circumstances. I struggle with the notion of being on any kind of drug that has no long-term incidence studies, but on the other hand, severe anxiety isn't good for the body either.
I was on Celexa.....got off it because of the sexual effects....saome of lack sensation and increase in the time for ejaculation. One girlfriend did not like foreplay that much...so that ended that relationship. I am now on Zoloft.....my doctor wants me to be on 75/day.....How will this effect me sexually?
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Simple, drug-free tips to banish the blues.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
For many, mental health care is prohibitively expensive. Dr. Rebecca Resnik provides a guide on how to find free or reduced-fee treatment in your area