Depression/Mental Health Forum

loss of appetite and lots of weight

OVER THE PAST YEAR OR SO I HAVE HAD NO APPETITE AND I HAVE LOST ALOT OF WEIGHT. I WAS NOT OVERWEIGHT TO BEGIN WITH AND NOW I AM REALLY VERY SMALL. I AM ABLE TO EAT, BUT FREQUENTLY HAVE NAUSEA  AND LOOSE STOOLS. I HAVE HAD A BATTERY OF TESTS THAT SHOWED A SMALL HERNIA AND ACID REFLUX, ALONG WITH SUDDEN PAROXMAL VENTRICULAR TACHYCARDIA AND PREMATURE VENTRICULAR BEATS. MY DOCTOR TOLD ME TO GET HELP FOR ANOREXIA WHICH MADE ME FEEL AS THOUGH HE THINKS ITS ALL IN MY HEAD. I LEFT FEELING LIKE A NEUROTIC FEMALE, TOTALLY EMBARRASSED, AND THEN MAD. I HAVE ALWAYS HATED TO GO TO THE DR., AND NOW  I DONT KNOW WHETHER TO GO WITH MY USUAL "IGNORE IT AND IT WILL GO AWAY" APPROACH  OR WHAT. I GUESS MY QUESTION WOULD BE : IS THERE SOMETHING THAT WE COULD BE MISSING TO EXPLAIN THIS?

_
Dear MLayne,
It is important to seek medical treatment for weight and appetite loss. Unlike anorexia nervosa where the sufferer doesn't recognize they are thin, have intense fears of gaining weight or becoming fat,and have a distorted body image. There are many reasons for weight loss, some psychiatric (e.g. depression) and some medical. I would discuss this with your physician, if your weight loss continues, a second opinion may be warrented.
This response is for general informational use only. Always consult your physician regarding concerns about your health. For an appointment for evaluation at Henry Ford Behavioral Services contact (313)874 6680.
Sincerly,
HFHS M.D.-SW
*Keywords: Anorexia Nervosa, Weight loss, Appetite Loss

15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Simple, drug-free tips to banish the blues.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
For many, mental health care is prohibitively expensive. Dr. Rebecca Resnik provides a guide on how to find free or reduced-fee treatment in your area