Depression/Mental Health Forum

meds for social phobia

Posted by Scott on May 08, 1999 at 20:34:47
I'm taking 30mg of Buspar a day for treatment of social phobia. I'm also taking 80mg of Propranolol LA for high blood pressure (and for treatment of social phobia). I am also seeking council with a psychologist.
I could deal with having social phobia if it wasn't for the physical evidence of it.  My main concern is to rid myself of over-blushing and over-perspiring episodes that occur every day.
Previously I'd been taking 20mg of Prozac for about 2 weeks until I'd read that Buspar could help with the physical evidence of social phobia.  I've been on Buspar for about a month now and haven't seen any real results.
My question is, can I take Prozac and Buspar at the same time?
Also, is there something else I could be taking for the blushing/sweating?  Thanks

Posted by HFHS MD-JM on May 11, 1999 at 08:00:41
Scott,
     You have been diagnosed with social phobia (social anxiety disorder) and
are taking Buspar and propranolol which may be helpful medications for this disorder.  Additionally you had a trial of Prozac (an antidepressant, so called
SSRI) but discontinued it.
      Prozac (and other SSRI's) have had the most research of all the agents used in treating social phobia and so far seems to be the most efficacious.  It
can be taken safely in combination with Buspar.  I recommend that you discuss
this further with your doctor for reinitiation.  Keep in mind that the full effects of these medications may take several weeks (4-8 weeks) to occur.
      Regarding the blushing and sweating, as your disorder is treated these
physical manifestations may improve.  Blushing is a distinctive characteristic
of social phobia.
       Propranolol is only helpful in performance situations such as public
speaking and not in generalized types of social phobia.  This very common condition is also greatly improved by psychotherapy and I recommend that this
become part of your treatment if you are not already involved in it.
        Keep in mind that this information is intended for eductional purposes
only.  If interested in seeing a HFHS psychiatrist then call 313 874 6680 for
an appointment.
Sincerely,
HFHS MD-JM
Keywords:  Social phobia, Social Anxiety Disorder and treatment

15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Simple, drug-free tips to banish the blues.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
For many, mental health care is prohibitively expensive. Dr. Rebecca Resnik provides a guide on how to find free or reduced-fee treatment in your area