Depression/Mental Health Forum

re: iq scores

my son,15, has been diagnosed with anxiety and is being treated with paxil.He had psychological testing and the wisc IIIwhere it showed his verbal I Q is 82 and his preformance IQ is 14. I've been doing alot of research on adhd and He seems to fit the profile except for the actual hyperactivity component. could he be adhd without neccesarily showing hyperactivity? Would this be covered in neuropsychological testing? He is very disorganized and has great difficulty in school. He says it's because he's lazy. But I'm not so sure
Alice,

ADHD, Attention deficit Hyperactivity disorder, is not necessarily correlated with IQ testing.  There is no specific neuropsychiatric test that is diagnostic of ADHD; it is a clinical diagnosis.  There are three types of ADHD: inattentive type, hyperactive-impulsive type and combined type.  From your description your son may have inattentive type.  Neuropsychiatric testing can be helpful to clarify different reasons for poor academic performance but a good history is the main diagnostic issue.  Please discuss these results with your pschologist and physician for further clarification.

Sincerely,

HFHS MD-JM

Keywords: ADHD
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Simple, drug-free tips to banish the blues.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
For many, mental health care is prohibitively expensive. Dr. Rebecca Resnik provides a guide on how to find free or reduced-fee treatment in your area