Depression/Mental Health Forum

tapering off of zoloft in 3rd trimester

I just entered my 7th month of pregnancy and I have been on Zoloft for several years. I have done a lot of reading and I want to go off of it. The doctor doesn't see any reason why I should, but he has given me a prescription for the liquid to taper with. I have tried to go off before and the step from 100mg to 75 is too big and I can't handle it. I have started with 90. How long should I do this for,and what would be a good next step? How long do I have to get off of it completely before it harms the baby? Thanks so much!
You should try to get to the lowest possible dose as quickly as you can tolerate it.  If you are starting at 90 mg then decreased at 10 mg every day until you get to between 25 and 50 mg.  At that point you should start taking that lowest dose every other day for a week and then every third day for the following week and then stopped but be sure to be under your doctor's supervision.
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Simple, drug-free tips to banish the blues.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
For many, mental health care is prohibitively expensive. Dr. Rebecca Resnik provides a guide on how to find free or reduced-fee treatment in your area