Depression/Mental Health Forum

zoloft

When I was 8 months pregnant with my son I suffered a major anxiety attack and depression, My doctor put me on zoloft , that was 7 years ago It worked great, I thought I was doing better and slowly weaned myself off over the summer of 2003, I had been off of zoloft for about 5 months, when in November I had another major anxiety attack and depression worse than ever before. I have now been taking Zoloft again for 8 weeks , I have been at 150 mg for about 4 of those weeks, which is what I took before. The Zoloft is not working, Did anyone ever hear of this before? I don't understand when it worked the first time? Do you think the medicine will take longer to work ? Please help?              Thank You Lis
Its not uncommon for your body chemistry to change.  If you don't get a good response in next week or two, you might try increasing the dose, and if not, switch to another antidepressant.
Hello. I read your question and thought to myself "hmm... sounds like me with Paxil". I am pretty sure that sometimes your body just becomes tolerant of a med. I was on Paxil for 8 years... started at 10 mg...then 20...30..40..60... and so on. Every year they had to up it. I recently started having depression and anxiety again. They are switching me over to zoloft. I would say maybe you need something in addition to the zoloft (klonopin is wonderful) but If the zoloft isn't working for you.. maybe they should try something else like Paxil. I never had any bad side effect from it and it did work for a long while. Anyway... good luck and hope you are feeling better!
also... what dosage of zoloft are you on?
I am on 150 for about 4 weeks, but I have been on zoloft for 8 weeks total. I was on it for 7 years and quit taking it because I thought I was better, It really came back bad, I cannot even sleep this time, I have never had that happen before. Im hoping it will work!

Write me back
Also how are you going to switch over to zoloft, My doctor said give it two more weeks and then if it doesn't work we will switch to paxilcr, I am very nervous to switch, while being on the zoloft, I know you taper down on one and go up on the other. What do you think?
Llis
Sounds familiar.  I have been on Zoloft for 13 years....13 pretty good years with it.  I tried to wean off a few times at the beginning (why?) and it came back.   So not worth it.  I am having some major strss right now and it seems to have QUIT???  My therapist and doctor say No, you're just using up the seratonin as fast as you make it.       I remember being so afraid it wouldn't work again when I quit those times, but it did eventually!  keep the faith.
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Simple, drug-free tips to banish the blues.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
For many, mental health care is prohibitively expensive. Dr. Rebecca Resnik provides a guide on how to find free or reduced-fee treatment in your area