Depression Community

375 mg Effexor XR

I have been on 375 mg of Effexor XR for many years, but am almost through weaning myself off this drug.  I am now taking 75 mg. a day and will discontinue that in one week.

Under my doctor's supervisor I was to decrease my Effoxor by 75 mg every 2 weeks, while starting on low dosages of Zoloft.  I have high blood pressure and kidney disease and my doctor wanted me off Effexor XR as it can raise your blood pressure.  Zoloft does not affect blood pressure.

My withdrawal symtoms are:  Full body night sweats to the point I have to change my PJ's one to two times a night.  I have experienced soft BM's about 4 times a day, along with some stomach cramping.  My appetite is low and I have lost weight, just like how I gained it when first starting Effexor XR.  

After reading other comments on this forum, many of which were not on 375 mg a day like I was, simply need to get under your doctor's supervision and start weaning off a little at a time, over a period of two weeks or more.  I feel my withdrawal symptoms are minimal considering the amount of medicine I was taking.  I also believe you need to be starting another anti-depressant while weaning off of Effexor XR.  If not, your depression will become worse.  Do you really want that again?
I hate Effexor.  I have been on this medication after trying several different cocktails for 7 years.  Coming off of this poison is worse than getting off anything.  It is terrible when on it and terrible coming off.  How long does it take before the spinning pounding feelings go away???  Cyoung0458@yahoo
I can relate to what you're saying about coming off of this drug. I was on Zoloft in the past and coming off that was simple compared to Effexor XR.  The dosage I was taking was 150mg and I was on it for a year.  It's been 4 days since I've had any dose of this medication at all and I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.  I think the med worked for me while I was taking it but if I had known what the withdrawal was like, I don't know I would have started on it to begin with.  The spinning and pounding sensation in my head is horrible as well as the tingles in my hands and the light flashes or feelings of my brain being zapped with electricity all of a sudden.  A couple times today I even had my eyes feel like they lost control and all of a sudden came to center again.  I'm praying this **** ends soon because I'm a single Mom of 2 and also work full time and the withdrawal is starting to affect my ability to do both jobs now.  At times I think it would just be better if I would take another Effexor (since I do have some of the rx left at home) just to make this stuff stop.  The sleeplessness is killing me too.  
Effexoir XR sucks. My doc put me on 400 mg for a year and a half, and it took  me 7 months to wean off! I had these electric shock noises in my ears that kept me on it much longer than I would have liked. In retrospect, I have no idea why he put me on such a high dose. Because it didn't work until that point, but still, that was insane.
I was on 225mg.  We tried to get off by decreasing 37.5 each week.  When will till the 4th week then I got very sick in my stomach.  So she put me back up.  Now I still feel anxiety.  I really don't want to live this way forever.  I thought I was on a high dose...but no matter...its a terrible drug to come off of...but if it takes months I will do it....Thanks for responding......Nana
I cannot imagine how you did it!!!  But that's so great.  I hate being on this medicine..I was coming off by 37.5 each week and a low dose of Paxil.  Still after 4 weeks I got so sick I had to go back up.  If I get myself better again....I will try again later to reduce the Effexor.  Thanks for you message....Nana