Depression Community

Abilify weight gain carbohydrate cravings

So I was prescribed Abilify 5 years ago. In that 5 years I have gained 80 pounds. Abilify can cause the development of diabetes.

I have hypoglycemia which has been getting more intense. So I had a diabetes blood draw.

I was told today that I do not have diabetes (thank goodness) but that the Abilify shut off my brain's ability to regulate carb cravings. So now I am to take an insulin regulator drug.

My question is this: IF WE KNOW THAT ABILIFY AND OTHER PSYCH MEDS CAUSE CARB/SUGAR CRAVINGS THEN WHY WAIT UNTIL A PATIENT GAINS 80 POUNDS TO PUT THEM ON AN INSULIN REGULATOR???

I moderate a mental health support group website. It concerns me to be reading about people like me, and there are a TON OF US, who have horrible weight gain from psych meds.  THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FAT AND HAPPY! My depression now is from being so fat I can't even walk through the mall with my daughter! My activity levels have deteriorated from being so fat, my back pain has increased significantly and I cannot seem to lose weight no matter how hard I try.
I am FRUSTRATED.
Well, usually, when weight gain is that severe the doctor tries a different med, but docs are often pretty clueless and these drugs aren't that easy to stop or to find ones that work.  But just because a drug is a weight gainer, that doesn't mean you're helpless to change the way you eat. It is harder, yes, but it can be done.  Look up a book called the Anti-Depressant Survival Guide -- the diet in it isn't the best, but it does give you an indication of what a type of psychiatrist who call themselves functional physicians approach this type of problem.  Good luck.