Aa
A
A
A
Close
Depression Community
10.6k Members

Abilify weight gain carbohydrate cravings

So I was prescribed Abilify 5 years ago. In that 5 years I have gained 80 pounds. Abilify can cause the development of diabetes.

I have hypoglycemia which has been getting more intense. So I had a diabetes blood draw.

I was told today that I do not have diabetes (thank goodness) but that the Abilify shut off my brain's ability to regulate carb cravings. So now I am to take an insulin regulator drug.

My question is this: IF WE KNOW THAT ABILIFY AND OTHER PSYCH MEDS CAUSE CARB/SUGAR CRAVINGS THEN WHY WAIT UNTIL A PATIENT GAINS 80 POUNDS TO PUT THEM ON AN INSULIN REGULATOR???

I moderate a mental health support group website. It concerns me to be reading about people like me, and there are a TON OF US, who have horrible weight gain from psych meds.  THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FAT AND HAPPY! My depression now is from being so fat I can't even walk through the mall with my daughter! My activity levels have deteriorated from being so fat, my back pain has increased significantly and I cannot seem to lose weight no matter how hard I try.
I am FRUSTRATED.
1 Responses
Well, usually, when weight gain is that severe the doctor tries a different med, but docs are often pretty clueless and these drugs aren't that easy to stop or to find ones that work.  But just because a drug is a weight gainer, that doesn't mean you're helpless to change the way you eat. It is harder, yes, but it can be done.  Look up a book called the Anti-Depressant Survival Guide -- the diet in it isn't the best, but it does give you an indication of what a type of psychiatrist who call themselves functional physicians approach this type of problem.  Good luck.
Have an Answer?
Top Mood Disorders Answerers
Arlington, VA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Discover the common symptoms of and treatment options for depression.
We've got five strategies to foster happiness in your everyday life.
Don’t let the winter chill send your smile into deep hibernation. Try these 10 mood-boosting tips to get your happy back
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.