Aa
A
A
A
Close
Depression Community
10.5k Members

Celexa and Weight Gain:(

Hi, I was wondering if there was anyone else out there who has had weight gain from celexa and switched to another med and lost the weight??  i suffer from depression and anxiety.  i am on the celexa and klonipin.  it has been many years on these meds.  but the weight gain is just making me more depressed.  i have withdrawn from my friends and family.  i havent been to a social function in about a year....or a date!  im ashamed of what i look like.  i used to be pretty damn hot...lol!  i dont have the energy to work out....or the attention span.  and i dont eat well.  i used to be able to eat anything and not gain a pound.  im 29 now and i guess my metabolism is slowing down.  i dont have the energy to cook something healthy.  and, i live in manhattan so ordering in or picking something up on my way home is the norm.  so basically i know im not helping my situation by the way i eat, but the celexa definitely has a part in it.  any help or advise would be great!  thanks!
1 Responses
Unfortunately weight gain is a common side effect of most SSRIs.  I am currently taking Celexa and have not been aware of any weight gain, in fact I have begun losing it, mostly as a result of having more energy that my depression deprived me of - so you might consider that your issue may not be the medicine itself, but that the medicine is not doing what it is supposed to do.  (See also: time for change)
Have an Answer?
Top Mood Disorders Answerers
Arlington, VA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Discover the common symptoms of and treatment options for depression.
We've got five strategies to foster happiness in your everyday life.
Don’t let the winter chill send your smile into deep hibernation. Try these 10 mood-boosting tips to get your happy back
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.