Aa
A
A
A
Close
Depression Community
10.5k Members

Changing from Cymbalta to ???

Due my health insurance more then tripling the cost of Cymbalta I have to change meds.  I have been using Cymbalta for alomost four years,  I am very concerned that my Doc wants to start  me on 40mg of Prozac when I have been on 120mg of Cymbalta. Can I have your thoughts about 40mg vs. 120mg and what side affects I will have to go though.
3 Responses
1042487 tn?1275283499
Hello there,

Prozac is an SSRI and Cymbalta is an SNRI. Prozac won't affect your norepinephrine level and will only affect your serotonin. Effexor is a cheaper SNRI that should gives you less side effect by preventing a norepinephrine withdrawal that might happen during the switch to Prozac.

Please consider that I'm not a doctor and this should be discussed with your doctor.

Best regards,
M4
I was also on Cymbalta and had to switch due to the cost.  I went to Citolapram and have excellent results.
I have been on effexor for two years and I can tell you without insurrance it is not cheap.Also it is one of the hardest drugs to withdraw off. I also was on citolapram but my doctor pulled me off it when he saw alot of mood change and weight gain. But then I was on both effexor and citolapram, highest doses each. This could of had some effect. I have been off both 8 months and the withdrawls are alful. I asked my doctor about it and he told me it was the effexor. I hope whatever you do works for you but myself I want little much more to do with any antidepressant do to the effects they have had on me and family members.  Good luck
Have an Answer?
Top Mood Disorders Answerers
Arlington, VA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Discover the common symptoms of and treatment options for depression.
We've got five strategies to foster happiness in your everyday life.
Don’t let the winter chill send your smile into deep hibernation. Try these 10 mood-boosting tips to get your happy back
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.