Depression Community

Constantly talking to myself in my head

I feel like I am going a little crazy and I can no longer remember what it was like to feel normal, does everyone talk to them selves in there head or is this the depression , I cant remember if I used to do it or not but I cant seem to switch it off its 24/7 so much so that when someone asks me something it takes me a while to focus on what they have said because my mind is already focused on what I am saying to myself? does this make sense. because of this the house seems really noisey I find it impossible and I just want to explode if the kids are talking and the tv is on and my thoughts are going I cant stand it. any comments
This is what I experience.  Besides depression, I also have a diagnosis of ADD.  

"Normal" people must have some of this too, because everybody talks about "self-talk" and whether what we say to ourselves is positive or negative.  I remember when I was young and seeing a psychologist, I made the suggestion that what I might need was to replace ugly childhood memories with better memories that I could go over instead of the unpleasant ruminations, and the therapist agreed.  We started fishing and hiking more and did what traveling we could afford.  

But I agree that it can be very distracting.  A low dose of amitriptyline slows it down for me and takes the edge off so I'm not so irritable with interruptions.  I will never enjoy noise, however.  
well i always considered this my OCD!!!! but i do have add too.... its miserable for me.... they can be any thoughts,but, of course in my case mostly highly depressing......

to me, this is such a normal habit that to hear someone ask about it is strange because ive been doing it my whole life...

my family said I'm crazy but I think it's ok to answer my slef
Bingo! Yea dude, that is one of the symptoms of severe depression and anxiety.

Don't worry, your not going nuts, although it will make you feel as if you are.

When Severe Depression takes hold like that, the mind is in a constant race to evaluate what is happining to it. "why do I feel this way because everything is ok?" "why are my hands and body trembling, I'm not in danger?"

Over and over, you will cycle thru worry about stuff that has no real reason to pose fear, yet it causes fear just the same. In your rational mind you know these feelings and fear are completly without merit, yet it makes no difference.

It's like the mind is stuck in the mud, yet the wheels are spinning a mile a minute.
In fact with me it got so bad that at one point I had actually convinced myself that I was going insane. Thus I had planned my own death and how I would kill myself because I felt so ******.

Don't worry, your not going nuts, you will feel like you are, but your not. If you let it go untreated though it can have some pretty devistating effects on your life.

At my worst it was so bad that I couldn't even consentrate enough to read a childs book. It will eliminate any sence of concentration you have. Can't expect the brain to concentrate when all it can do is think about how horrible it feels.
Thank you all for your comments, I have been on antidepressents for 9 days now and I am definatley thinking clearer but I am buzzing my thoughts are not as I thought talking to myself they are talking like to a third party, I dont think anyone else is listning but its like I am having a conversation with someone else? I dont know what to think, I asked my friend and husband and they both looked at me a bit strange its like rehearsing a conversation I am going to have. I dont feel down anymore, I have had so much energy I have cleaned the house throughout, had a day in the garden and feel the best I have ever felt but the thinking is driving me crazy, I went out last night with a gang of friends and I couldnt speak much because I couldnt keep up with what they were saying because my voice is too loud in my head. I cant sleep without sleeping pills, the first couple of days I took them I fell asleep really quickly but kept waking up but fell straight to sleep again, now its taking longer to take affect my mind is buzzing and keep waking but I am not tired like I was two weeks ago. My mother inlaw says the antidepresents shouldnt be working this quickly.
I dont know what to think, I saw my doc but couldnt tell him about my thoughts because I felt like he would think Im going a bit mad, he thinks because I was so low the meds have mad me a little high and then they will settle and my mood will level out, I dont want that to happen because I feel good, I just dont like my mind as it is at the moment.

Does any of this make any sense
You may want to seek out information on D.I.D or D.D NOS. Depression and A.D.D do not come with these symptoms.
It is happening with me too. I don't understand completely what's it going on?
I do it as well, always have, its like a calming thing for me, reassurance when I find something angst ridden or stressful..I try to play devils advocate inside my mind.
Right now, I can't shut my thoughts off and its making things hard for me.
I'm withdrawaling off meds though, which I am trying to do myself, without dr help.

What drugs did you get put on? If its Effexor ( get off it) thats what i had and its hell to ween off.

I hope you feel better soon!
This is a subject that I was going to bring up but thought it would sound weird so i'm glad you found the courage to do so.  I have conversations in my head all the time with a third person and sometimes i have conversations with myself.  I can get very annoyed by external noise when this is happening.  Sometimes the conversations are quiet and sometimes they are loud.

I've always assumed that everyone must do it but have never dared ask in case they think i'm completely crazy.  Sometimes the conversations make me anxious and I almost talk myself into a panic if that makes sense other times it gives me confidence - its all a bit difficult to explain really.  My mind is never quiet.

I feel better knowing i'm not the only one.