Depression Community

Cymbalta.........????????? Please

HI,I am interested in Cymbalta. I was on it  awhile last summer and did ok.Now im trying it for teh 3rd thime this year and im thinking its making me feel wierd and i stopp taking it after like 9 days or so. This time Dr. has me trying 20 mg.(last summer i was on 60 mg) Im also tapering off xanax and klonopin at this time. I took my 2nd cymbalta this morning.It makes me nauseated,dizzy and kinda confused and thsi morning when i woke up my mind was like racing like crazy.Is this normal will it go away or should i quit it.My dr wants me off all meds because i have pill phobia,but wanted me to try this lower dose of cymbalta.............i also go a sore throat after taking it yesterday and it has always gave me dierehha.........any answers or advice would be great.........Thanks
I must ask, why Cymbalta?

SNRI meds like Cymbalta and Effexor are best to be prescribed only when SSRI meds like Zoloft, Paxil, Prozac, and Lexapro are producing no positive results after several weeks.

I'm trying to figure out, why in the world your Psychiatrist would have prescribed an SNRI as a first line drug.

SNRI's should NEVER be considered unless SSRI's have already failed to produce a result. Every Psychiatrist knows this fact. It is very unusual that any Psyciatrist would choose an SNRI as a first line medication.

I would do some background research to find out just how reputable this P-doc is.

You may be best to select a new Psychiatrist.

My point is that SNRI medications can be too "energizing" for some depressed individuals. They seem to work best for people with the kind of depression that causes Massive fatuge and extreem exaustion as well as sleepiness. If you are not in this catagory, then I can see why Cymbalta is causing you problems.

Withdrawl can also be much worse on SNRI's like Cymbalta and Effexor than with SSRI medications. This fact counts for a lot if you ever need to taper off and swap meds.

Don't get me wrong, SNRI's have their place, but if an SSRI does the trick then I say stay away from the SNRI's.