Depression Community

Cymbalta

Feeling pretty down does anyone have anything good to say about cymbalta.? I have high anxiety as well as lupus and a hep c treatment on the horizon. I know they will give me an anti depressant and I was hoping for some input. Most others make me feel bad.
I was on Cymbalta for 5 months. Only side-effects I had was nausea for about 1 week then it went away.

Cymbalta was very energetic and helped me going thru the hard time I was dealing when my mom had cancer. When she passed I stopped cold turkey and had brain zaps for 1 month. This drug is very potent and can work very well but it's not a cheap drug and cost a lot. I was very active while being on Cymbalta (going to the gym 3-4 times a week and jogging 45 min everyday) and very outgoing. My tolerance to alcohol increase a lot. I had no side-effects. The withdrawal was kinda bad... At least 100 brain zaps a day, irritability etc... But I did quit cold turkey and only had to endure this for 1 month. Now that Lyme disease is affecting my life terribly with late stage symptoms I am thinking of getting back on Cymbalta since it's really the only AD that worked for me at giving me a kick to start my day.

It is also a good analgesic for neuropathic pain and various other pains.

One drug doesn't fit all like one size doesn't fit all. Everyone can react differently to drugs.

M4
I have depression and anxiety. I did try Cymbalta and it helped with my depression but did nothing for my anxiety so I quit taking it. The above poster is right, this med is stimulating so if you do decide to take it start at the lowest dose possible. You might want to consider taking an antidepressant that helps both anxiety and depression. Keep us up to date and let us know what you decide to do. We're here for you.  Remar
The main uses of duloxetine (cymbalta) are in major depressive disorder, general anxiety disorder, stress urinary incontinence, painful peripheral neuropathy and fibromyalgia. In addition, it is being studied for various other indications. It's one of the newer anti-depressants and gets good reviews from patients.
Thanks so much to u and everyone who responded. I have heard that Effexor is supposed to be the same drug only generic is this true? Maybe someone out there knows. I seem to be getting no where with my doc    anyone info is helpful to me right now
Effexor is in the same category that is it is also a potent SNRI. The stimulating proprieties come from the N which stands for norepineprhine also called noradrenaline (S is for serotonin) that is Selective-Serotonin-Norepineprhine-Reuptake-Inhibitor, SSNRI but we usually just say SNRI.

Cymbalta and Effexor are different tho. The withdrawals are terrible with both drugs tho. A drug similar to Effexor is Pristiq which is the ''new Effexor''. Another drug extremely close to Effexor is tramadol. Tramadol is not an antidepressant. It is a opiod painkiller with SNRI proprieties.

M4
" I have heard that Effexor is supposed to be the same drug only generic is this true?"
----Not true!----

Venlafaxine (Effexor, Effexor XR) is indicated for the treatment of:

Major Depressive Disorder
Generalized Anxiety Disorder
Social Anxiety Disorder
Panic Disorder

Duloxetine (Cymbalta) is indicated for the treatment of:

Major Depressive Disorder
Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathic Pain
Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD)
Fibromyalgia (FM)
Thank you Thank you The pharmacist gave my spouse the old they are pretty much the same thing speel so he took his word for it because as you say they are expensive now I know a little more   still scared of all these kinds of drugs  he said it was hell coming off and I had never seen him so bad  Thanks again
Thanks          with all this brain fog its hard to get all the info              should I even trust to take something like these drugs  withdrawals side effects            there has got to be a better way            Really worried about how much this hep c treatment will end up costing me          my mind too            Bless u for responding
I wish I could tell all of you that you had the best answers. i don't understand that part of the forum but you really are a fountain of wisdom  all of you Thank you Big hug
I had no adverse side effects from Cymbalta. As a matter of fact it was amazing for the first month or 2. After that it held me together. I have been on it for almost 2 years. Just about a 3 weeks ago, I started getting real down and the doc added Abilify to my meds and I am much better.
Thanks for the info   do u know how cymbalta is for someone with liver disease..I have a small town doc and I always like to hear from others who might be in the same boat                  sure hope it all works out well for you        take care
I know my input doesn't mean squat in the bigger picture, but I hope my words encourage you a bit. Cymbalta helped me A LOT with anxiety. I didn't realize how effective it was until I stopped taking it. In social situations especially, I actually felt comfortable. It didn't help me with depression but for anxiety it's a winner in my book. There was an overwhelming calm feeling that it provided me. I don't know how to explain it but I'll try anyways. It's like having your "security blanket" (whatever that may be, either tangible or figurative) by your side at all times. Please let us know how it works out for you.