Depression Community

DEPRESSION....

I found this article and thought I would share it... MAKES SENSE!

When you exercise, your brain instantly revs up production of endorphins – chemicals that help elevate mood, improve brain function and concentration, and give an overall sense of well-being,” Dr. Fruge says.

That’s why you end a gym workout or long walk happier than when you started, with a feeling of being “good tired.”

Staying active also balances cortisol, a steroid hormone produced under stress that creates the fight-or-flight feeling, Dr. Fruge says.

Reducing cortisol levels helps prevent an anxiety attack and stabilizes mood.

If you exercise regularly, the emotional benefits become long-term, Dr. Fruge says:

“Physical activity can produce chemical changes in the brain that lead to the eventual ‘rewriting’ of memory, which makes an event seem less traumatic. So you feel less drained, depressed or sad.” - See more at: http://www.lifescript.com/health/centers/depression/articles/boost_your_mood_with_exercise.aspx?_page=3#sthash.Lboj8jrE.dpuf