Aa
A
A
A
Close
Depression Community
10.6k Members

Depressed and teary

I am new to this particular forum but not new to MedHelp.  I took Paxil for over a year and I'd like to call it a miracle drug.  I felt fabulous while I was on it.  The only downfall is that you can't achieve an orgasm and more than likely you won't lose weight, you will gain weight.  For both of those reasons I weened myself off and it wasn't easy but I am drug free.  I feel very depressed now and am not sure what the answer is.  I have an appt w my Physciatrist next week and she will give me just about anything (not sure if this is a good thing) but don't know what I should take...

Any suggestions, regarding AD's and ones that don't cause weight gain...are there any????  What else is out there for depression?  I feel very low now and I don't wish to yo yo from one drug to the next.

Feeling hopeless.

TV
1 Responses
Your doctor can give you medication to overcome the sexual problem, plus he/she can tell you which ones don't cause weight gain.  I have been on them all, and it wasn't until I took a close look at my diet and exercise, did I stop blaming the drugs.  I've lost 45lbs. since January, and I always thought I ate healthy, and I've always walked 3-5miles a day.  But in reality is was a couple of bad eating habits causing the weight gain.  Also, any weight gain on AD's is minimal.  There are no drug replacements for depression.  We all have had to switch our meds, but once we found one that worked, it was well worth it.  
Have an Answer?
Top Mood Disorders Answerers
Arlington, VA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Discover the common symptoms of and treatment options for depression.
We've got five strategies to foster happiness in your everyday life.
Don’t let the winter chill send your smile into deep hibernation. Try these 10 mood-boosting tips to get your happy back
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.