Depression Community

Depression and Seroquel XR

I have experienced depression for many yrs. I have been prescribed more anti-depressants than I can hardly recall. Most were new on the market, thus very expensive.They were of little benefit. Recently my MD. gave me some samples of 50 mg. of Seroquel XR. After reading the info with the medication, it says Seroquel is prescribed for bi-polar disorder. In my case I don't get the up or manic phase. I was hoping that this medication may be helpful for depression alone. Anyone who takes Seroquel that can give me some insight will be much appreciated. Many Thanks
Seroquel is an anti-psychotic and should not be prescribed for depression since it's basically a serotonin antagonist. I know it is sometimes prescribed off-label for depression but it is very rare and i don't understand why would one prescribe Seroquel for depression. Have you tried SSRI or SNRIs? A reuptake inhibition of a neurotransmitter is way better, in my humble opionion, than the inhibition of the receptors implied with serotonin neurotransmitter. Seroquel is also a strong sedative, i know it won't be that sedative since you are getting the extended release version of it but still... Talk to your doctor.

Best regards,
M4

Is it just seroquel you are taking (that doesnt sound right) or with an anti depressant.

My doctor is an expert on treatment resistant depression and she prescribes a low dose anti psychotic along with an anti depressant usually a SNRI

I have taken zyprexa with effexor, I came off everything eventually giving up the anti psychotic first
and at another time (now my second episode) cymbalta with Seroquel, though i am weaning the Seroquel now and i am down to 12.5 mg

Are you just taking the one drug?

?
Cymbalta, in my humble opinion is the best SNRI out there but it is very expansive ( no doubt why ). But one drug doesn't fit like like one size doesn't fit all. Some people must go thru a hard trial and errors process before finding the right drugs.

How was your experience with Cymbalta therese83?
Therese83, thank you for your response. Right now my MD. gave me a sample pack of 16 50 mg. of Seroquel and a small amount of Valium. In the past 10-15 yrs. I have been prescribed Paxil,Zyprexa,Effexor,Cymbalta, Prozac, Wellbutrin, Lexapro,Celexa, Zoloft, and probably something I have forgotton. These anti-depressants did little or nothing other than lighten my wallet. To be honest,the best results that I have experienced has been taking self injections of testosterone. I am male,55 yrs. old and found that my testosterone levels were very low. The injections give me more energy,less fatigue, stronger libido, and a better sense of wellbeing. I am not saying that I don't have depressive periods at times (more than just the blues) but I really feel that MDs. should prescribe more testosterone for patients like myself even though it is a "STEROID" You can google Dr. E Barry Gordon and go to his site...thehiddendisease.com and find some very helpful info for male and female.
I am doing good on cymbalta with tolerable side effects