Depression Community

Depression treatment

I have been suffering from depression for the last 12 years. I have taken all kinds of medicine SSRI, SNRI etc. Presently I am on with venlaflaxine-50 mg, Trapex-10 mg, and Nortriptyline -25 mg. Nothing seems to work out. Is depression a permanent disease? Do we have to take medication all the time? Is it like hypertension, that we continue to take medication. Does anybody has any answer?
Hello and welcome!

It sounds like you've been at this for a long time.  There are different kinds of depression, but I think what you're talking about is clinical or chronic depression.  Unfortunately. most people diagnosed with clinical depression are kind of stuck with it.  That doesn't mean it cannot be managed and treated however.  Like you said, it's kind of like diabetes or hypertension...it's something you'll always have, but it can be controlled, and there will be periods where it's a non-issue and other times when it's a big issue.

For starters, some people just have a harder time finding the "right" treatment regimen for themselves.  It's important to make sure your depression and meds are being managed by a psychiatrist, they know the psych meds much better than a family doc would.

Also, it's important to have a comprehensive treatment plan, as just taking meds usually isn't enough, it doesn't "cure" you.  There are many ways to treat depression, from therapy, to lifestyle changes, to more natural methods.

If you have truly tried a lot of different meds and therapy and just haven't seen any improvement, you may have a tougher case of depression (called treatment resistant depression).  

Your doc could shed light on that for you, if he/she feels that may be the problem.  If that is the case, and you're doing as much as you can to address it, trying different meds and working hard yourself, then it may be time to discuss treatment options like ECT or electroconvulsive therapy.  

ECT is still struggling a bit to overcome its not so great reputation from days gone by, where ECT in its infant stages was quite barbaric.  That's not the case anymore.  Of course there's risks, and some side effects, but for people with treatment resistant depression, it can be a real God send.  We've had many members report some very positive outcomes with ECT.  It's definitely an option that should be considered when it seems a lot or most medicinal treatments have been exhausted.

Lastly, you have to look inward to be honest with yourself to determine how YOU are either contributing to the issue, or trying to contribute to the solution.  Sadly. all too often, people don't understand why they cannot notice any real improvements with their depression, meanwhile they may be doing things that would directly counteract any depression treatment, like drink alcohol regularly, abuse drugs, continue to stay stuck with a very unhealthy lifestyle like poor diet and inactivity, in addition to not really doing much to push themselves to get better.  While it's very hard sometimes to push ourselves to TRY, it's just so important.  If a person has a very defeatist attitude, is convinced nothing will work, or just sits around all day ruminating, there's no med in the world that would help that person.

Just throwing that out there.  Sometimes it's the very obvious things that people overlook, thinking that they just haven't found a med to work, when meanwhile, (in example) they drink alcohol every day, which of course exacerbates depression terribly.  It's always important to assess not only your treatment regimen and your professionals, but also any role you may play.

I wish you the very best...please update us when you can. We're here for you!
Hi, I would like to add this in for your info, I think it could help.
From PubMed
Rapid recovery from major depression using magnesium treatment.

Major depression is a mood disorder characterized by a sense of inadequacy, despondency, decreased activity, pessimism, anhedonia and sadness where these symptoms severely disrupt and adversely affect the person's life, sometimes to such an extent that suicide is attempted or results. Antidepressant drugs are not always effective and some have been accused of causing an increased number of suicides particularly in young people. Magnesium deficiency is well known to produce neuropathologies. Only 16% of the magnesium found in whole wheat remains in refined flour, and magnesium has been removed from most drinking water supplies, setting a stage for human magnesium deficiency. Magnesium ions regulate calcium ion flow in neuronal calcium channels, helping to regulate neuronal nitric oxide production. In magnesium deficiency, neuronal requirements for magnesium may not be met, causing neuronal damage which could manifest as depression. Magnesium treatment is hypothesized to be effective in treating major depression resulting from intraneuronal magnesium deficits. These magnesium ion neuronal deficits may be induced by stress hormones, excessive dietary calcium as well as dietary deficiencies of magnesium.

Case histories are presented showing rapid recovery (less than 7 days) from major depression using 125-300 mg of magnesium (as glycinate and taurinate) with each meal and at bedtime.

Magnesium was found usually effective for treatment of depression in general use. Related and accompanying mental illnesses in these case histories including traumatic brain injury, headache, suicidal ideation, anxiety, irritability, insomnia, postpartum depression, cocaine, alcohol and tobacco abuse, hypersensitivity to calcium, short-term memory loss and IQ loss were also benefited. Dietary deficiencies of magnesium, coupled with excess calcium and stress may cause many cases of other related symptoms including agitation, anxiety, irritability, confusion, asthenia, sleeplessness, headache, delirium, hallucinations and hyperexcitability, with each of these having been previously documented. The possibility that magnesium deficiency is the cause of most major depression and related mental health problems including IQ loss and addiction is enormously important to public health and is recommended for immediate further study. Fortifying refined grain and drinking water with biologically available magnesium to pre-twentieth century levels is recommended.
+++++++
Note:
Mg Glycinate is one of the most absorbable form of Magnesium. Its inexpensive and available on line.
Its best to be taken with Vit. D as they work with each other.

DO NOT use Mg Oxide, this is the least absorbed and causes diarrhea..this is usually the form of Mg with multivitamins, this kind will not work.

So much of the public is Mg deficient . Please read up on it.
"The Miracle of Magnesium" book is an excellent source.
I hope it helps you. Take care and keep us posted.
   I never thought that I will get such good response from people. Really it was very helpful to me. Though I am still struggling, I think that medicine cannot cure it. Though I am working on my lifestyle very much, but in vein. I cannot wake early in the morning and it becomes 10:00 am. With my job schedule for 11:00 am to 7pm I find it difficult to get some time for yoga. Is there any kind of special exercise, yoga for depressive people??Thanks
I am little worried about my depression as I have been taking medication for such a log time. Although I am being treated by a psychiatrist, he keeps on changing brands in every 2 months I visit him. What is the chance or percent that I suffer from Alzheimer's disease, dementia or other diseases? Thanks
I don't understand why your Dr keeps changing your meds. Sometimes you just need an increase after awhile and it really can help. Some people don't do well on the therapeutic dose and need a higher one. I would recommend this. If you feel any kind of improvement at all on a med stay on it then dose increases as needed.
The people on this forum really are great. Very caring, understanding and helpful. I hope you keep posting because we're all here to support you.
I agree with remar, I too am perplexed why he would be changing your meds so often, that's not at all typical.  Have you ever considered seeking a second opinion?  What does your doctor tell you about your lack of response to meds thus far?

Hang in there.