Depression Community

Depression

My mom was diagnosed with major depression 2 years ago & responded well to medications primarily Zoloft. A year into treatment all her medications were tapered & discontinued. She then had a relapse after 4 weeks, since then she has been started on different medications each time & her symptoms continue to persist. Currently she is on Zoloft 100 mg BID, Elavil 75 mg BID & Bupropion 150mg QD.She's experiencing a lot of sideeffects from the medications including drowsiness, poor appetite, malaise, dry mouth, memory lapses etc. I would like to know if she on too much medication right now ?After she feels better,what would be a good maintenance drug/ dose to keep her symptoms controlled ? Kindly advice....
She must have been in a bad way because they are banging her with meds.  I'm curious about the Elavil and the reasoning for that.  If she is taking them in the morning, I am sure she can't function.  I would switch everything to a nighttime dose and not during the day.  There is no reason these meds HAVE to be taken specifically in daytime.  The Wellbutrin is causing the appetite issue and dry mouth.  The Elavil is making her a zombie and confused at that.  Wellbutrin might be a good maintenance choice since it is a two pronged med, working on certain neurotransmitters, while Zoloft basically attacks serotonin.  Lifestyle and diet changes are only going to enhance what the medication is doing for her.  Its not easy but it works.  She relapsed for a reason and I suspect she fell back into a comfort zone as the meds tapered making it easier for her to slip away.  Depression needs to be attacked agressively otherwise it consumes the person.  Set up a plan of action BEFORE the taper so that it decreases the withdrawal and its inherent side effects.  Keep me posted.