Depression Community

Did St. John's Wort work for you?

Who has tried St. John's Wort? Did it work for you? Were there side effects? How long did it take to take effect?
I drink SJW tea when I feel a little depressed.  I used to drink it more often.  It does seem to help take the edge off immediately after drinking a couple of cups, but I have to be persistent in drinking it often.  I was not aware of any side effects.

I've recently begun eating some foods based on a raw diet which believes that heated food loses its potency.  I'm wondering if there's a better way for me to take SJW where it would be more affective.

Before I wanted to come to terms with my depression I took Saint Johns Wort (capsules) and B12. I stayed with it for 6 months or so. It really helped a lot and it seemed to help pretty quickly. I wanted a natural way to help me out because I didn't want to take a pill and become a zombie. That was my biggest fear with antidepressants. I stopped taking it because I felt better and thought I could handle things on my own. I started taking it again 4 months ago along with the B12 but I had a pretty bad breakdown and decided it was time for professional help. I'm now on Wellbutrin and was on Zoloft but stopped taking it because of the side effects. I ran out of Saint Johns Wort and never picked anymore up. I think the Wellbutrin is doing good on it's own so I don't think I'll take the SJW again. I think you should look into it. It's a great alternative to pharmaceuticals.
Thanks for your posts. How long did it take to work? How many days/weeks? I started my first dose. 300mg. Going to take 600 a day and then go up to 900 a day in two days.
I want to say it worked within a week. I seem to have meds work pretty quickly with me. When I started taking Wellbutrin it made me feel better within days. Maybe it's just too much positive thinking but I try to believe that everything is going to work when I start it. I can't remember the mg dose I was taking. It's kind of hard to find where I was looking for it and they only had one brand. I took 3 of them in a day. I want to say they were probably 100mg each. I never thought of taking more than what the bottle said. Maybe it would have worked better!
Is it normal to feel worse? I've been taking it for a few days and I feel horrible. Crying nonstop, having suicidal thoughts, anxiety has sky rocketed. Please someone tell me if it gets better after a few days. If not, thats it, I'm stopping it.
I didn't have that happen to me. If it's really concerning to you than I would stop taking it.