Depression Community

Did St. John's Wort work for you?

Who has tried St. John's Wort? Did it work for you? Were there side effects? How long did it take to take effect?
I drink SJW tea when I feel a little depressed.  I used to drink it more often.  It does seem to help take the edge off immediately after drinking a couple of cups, but I have to be persistent in drinking it often.  I was not aware of any side effects.

I've recently begun eating some foods based on a raw diet which believes that heated food loses its potency.  I'm wondering if there's a better way for me to take SJW where it would be more affective.

Before I wanted to come to terms with my depression I took Saint Johns Wort (capsules) and B12. I stayed with it for 6 months or so. It really helped a lot and it seemed to help pretty quickly. I wanted a natural way to help me out because I didn't want to take a pill and become a zombie. That was my biggest fear with antidepressants. I stopped taking it because I felt better and thought I could handle things on my own. I started taking it again 4 months ago along with the B12 but I had a pretty bad breakdown and decided it was time for professional help. I'm now on Wellbutrin and was on Zoloft but stopped taking it because of the side effects. I ran out of Saint Johns Wort and never picked anymore up. I think the Wellbutrin is doing good on it's own so I don't think I'll take the SJW again. I think you should look into it. It's a great alternative to pharmaceuticals.
Thanks for your posts. How long did it take to work? How many days/weeks? I started my first dose. 300mg. Going to take 600 a day and then go up to 900 a day in two days.
I want to say it worked within a week. I seem to have meds work pretty quickly with me. When I started taking Wellbutrin it made me feel better within days. Maybe it's just too much positive thinking but I try to believe that everything is going to work when I start it. I can't remember the mg dose I was taking. It's kind of hard to find where I was looking for it and they only had one brand. I took 3 of them in a day. I want to say they were probably 100mg each. I never thought of taking more than what the bottle said. Maybe it would have worked better!
Is it normal to feel worse? I've been taking it for a few days and I feel horrible. Crying nonstop, having suicidal thoughts, anxiety has sky rocketed. Please someone tell me if it gets better after a few days. If not, thats it, I'm stopping it.
I didn't have that happen to me. If it's really concerning to you than I would stop taking it.
I asked my naturopath about St. John's Wort and she said she preferred I used 5-HTP.  The only thing I can remember that she said about SJW was that it coule lead to sun sensitivity and since it's summertime I might have a reaction.  Haven't started the 5-HTP yet.  Kind of scared to do anyting that affects my brain chemistry, but really want to try the natural route too.  It seems that there are as many posts about people trying to get off of antidepressants as there are those saying they are working.  So, first I'll try the natural route.  

I wish you well!  Everything's going to be fine!  
What is 5-HTP? I ended up stopping St John's Wort. I'm thinking of starting it up again. Maybe a lower dosage. If anyone has anymore experience with this herb, please let me know.
5-HTP is metabolic intermediate in the synthesis of serotonin. It's an amino acid so in order to make serotonin you need those amino acids: tryptophan and then it is 5-HTP then it is metabolized to the biosynthesis of serotonin then melatonin is synthesis occur from serotonin in order to help with your circadian rhythm. It is believed that 5-HTP supplement help with the production of serotonin but depression is a complicated illness that often doesn't imply only serotonin. All the monoamines (serotonin, dopamine, norepinephrine) can have an impact on depression. The depressive person can also have no trouble with his/her monoamine and still be depressed due to personal life issues. The best strategy against depression is an appointment with a psychiatrist and then weekly appointment with a psychologist if needed.

The best time to take 5-HTP is before bedtime on an empty stomach.

M4
I took St John's Wort and 5-HTP, but they did not help me at all.  Perhaps the dose I was taking was too low.  Then I read bad things about 5-HTP.  

St John's Wort seems to help mild depression, but I have major depression.  I had to go back on anti-depressants.  Unfortun ately they do take quite a while to take effect.  Up to six weeks in my case.

I am now very well, and will never stop my medication again.
Tried St Johns wort with not much success have to say. Presently trying the 5-HTP andf have been on them for at least 3months as was floundering for a bit and was desperate. Does'nt appear to do anything for me have to say. Like 4maddie as accepting with myself that may need medication for the long haul.
I've been on meds for a while now. At the beginning the thought of taking something  for the rest of my life was daunting. And, an antidepressant that thought, oh boy.

But, the pain, and harrowing grip of depression was worse. No one deserves to suffer this way.  If that means a pill will change that and I can have laughter and meaningful moments, then so be it. I take the pill.  

It true I had to accept that as part of myself.  And, sometimes still do.  If it helps....why not?

Hang in there it does get better.

Ellis